Wiring amperage question

Page 1 of 3

Can I use 12/2 wire for a 20 amp line?

Yes.
--
Regards,
What he said...
12 AWG wire is intended for use with 20A breakers so you are good to go.
14A\\WG wire is for 15A breakers.
Doug Miller wrote:

No, maybe. Depends on the length of the circuit and the expected load.
here we go.........
--
Steve Barker

"Toller" < snipped-for-privacy@Yahoo.com> wrote in message

LOL! Ain't that the truth!
Oh, hey, great, I've got a whole bunch of aluminum wire to use....
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
46erjoe wrote:

Yes, but you might want to think about a ground lead too, it might be code required. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

"Jeff Wisnia" < snipped-for-privacy@conversent.net> wrote in message

Do you _really_ think that if you walk into an electrical supply house and ask for a length of 12/2 cable, you're _not_ going to get cable with black, white, *and* ground?????
To the OP: ignore Jeff's post. If you're running a 120V 20A circuit, 12/2 is what you want -- it has the ground included. Don't buy 12/3, thinking that you need that to get the ground wire. You don't.
--
Regards,
On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 17:43:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

12/3 will actually have 4 wires: black, white, red, and bare.

Mark Lloyd

Which, of course, is exactly why I told the OP not to be misled by Jeff's wise-ass post into mistakenly thinking that he'd need 12/3 to have a ground wire. Get with the program.
--
Regards,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Doesn't 12/2 generally already have a ground lead?
Chris

The "<G>" means he is grinning as he says it.

Well, yes, but it's a stupid joke, because of course the ground lead *is* there.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Well I for one, the quintessential pack rat, have got quite a bit of unused 12/2 WITHOUT ground lying in my basement, right next to a coil of Romex, so maybe the OP has some too.
Judging from some of the electrical inquiries We've all read here lately it's not completely beyond belief that someone might be thinking about using up some "old new stock" two wire Romex or even (G-d forbid) a piece of an old extension cord to install a new outlet.
But, I do agree that it WAS a stupid joke on my part.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Around 1953 my parents decided I needed more outlets in my bedroom (I was 6), and my father was not cheap. And after being a bachelor until he was 53, and living in his parents' house, he had plenty of money.
So I presume he hired an electrician and not a handyman. I know the guy did a very neat job.
And what he did is plug a cord into the receptacle in my parents' big closet, drill a hole through the wall into my room, and run the lamp cord from the plug along the baseboard, where he mounted two surface-mount outlets.
We moved when I was 10. I was last inside the house when I was about 25. Next time I'm near there, I'm going to ask if I can come in and look again, and check if the outlets are still working.
I know we never had any problems, but that was when a bedroom was well equipped if it had a lamp and a clock-radio (or a clock and a radio, although wind-up clocks were not uncommon). Of course the radio used more current than now, because it had tubes, but those were the only two things in any of our bedrooms. (Well, my mother had 4 lamps in hers, but that was the only diff.)

46erjoe wrote:

Not if it is Al or Al Cu-clad.

I was going to use it in two places:
1) new bathroom where the ceiling light is also a fan and heater + the light over the sink + the GFI outlets around the perimeter of the room
2) in a new bedroom I'm adding on that will have a baseboard electric heater + ceiling light + perimeter outlets.
Can I stay with 12/2 and 20 amp breaker or should I go 10/2? Does this change your responses? Thanks.

That depends on the ratings of the equipment you're adding, especially the heaters -- and also on whether you're planning to put all that on one circuit, or two (or more).
Post the electrical ratings of the heaters, including the voltage (baseboard heaters are often 240V), and we can give you a better answer.
--
Regards,