Wiring a workshop in Canada I need a good book or two.

Ralph. I didn't realize you were planning on putting in a sub panel... I was going to do likewise, and found two good sources of info:

The first is a book called Wiring Installation and Maintainance (Home, Cottage, Industry), by Harold B. Kirchner. My copy dates from 1978, but there have been more recent editions. As I understand it, this has long been a standard text in Canada. It is excellent - the best book on electical I've ever seen. I love that they include plenty of example circuit diagrams. When I wired my first shop, I had this book nearby at all times.

My second source of info is a website:

After reading that site, top to bottom, I had a much more complete picture of what's involved in putting in a subpanel. The guy who posted it knows his stuff.

And you already know about the "electrical code simplified" books...

As I said, I was going to do my own subpanel installation, but I lucked out and found an electrical who specializes in this sort of thing. The guy has a good reputation and reasonable rates. Too bad you don't have anyone near you that you could rely on.

Good luck with your project.

Rob

Reply to
Specter

I'm trying to get out of installing the sub panel. My shop is actually attached to my home so technically I should need one if I don't install electric heat. I can however run a separate 240 cable for a plugin and use a construction heater that is plugged in not hard wired. I have plenty of room in my main panel. So I may be able to avoid the subpanel and just run 4 20 amp circuits and one

30amp circuit for the heater. This would be my preferred method because this I understand.
Reply to
Ralph

Well, silly question here. If you understand running your circuits to a main panel, why don't you understand putting in a sub? The only difference is your pulling an extra wire, the feeder wire.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Sub can't touch wood, ten foot grounding rod, etc, etc, etc. Most books advise hiring an electrician for this.

Reply to
Ralph

A sub-panel that is, not sub contractor.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

According to Ralph :

Doesn't need a grounding rod if it's in the same building as the main.

So do I.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 19:13:33 GMT, "Ralph" posted:

I've put in a few - it's very easy and no more difficult than any 2-phase circuit except the wire's heavier. The 60A breakers are pricey though and often you get to move some circuits out of the main panel to make room for it. Then you pay $100 to get it inspected and you've saved yourself $1000. YMMV

nigel