Wiring a stone house

Hi, list

I think that I probably know the answer but I'm an capital "A" amateur, so I want to make sure that I'm not overlooking an obvious easy solution to my problem.

I've got an 1816 stone house, stuccoed on the outside and with plaster right on the stone inside. One room is largish (18x22) and tends to be dark in the middle, so I want to cluster a few high-hats over the conversation area. To get electricity to the lights and put a switch on the wall, however, it seems to me that I'm going to have to make a trench for the wires. That will demand a lot of chopping on the walls and, I imagine, an incredible mess -- plus the project of plastering the wires over later.

The existing outlets in the room are in the walls, so I presume that's what was done when the house was electrified in the 1940s.

Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
MDixon1918

Sorry! No easy way out unless you want to use exposed wiremold or conduit.

These channels are usually cut with a masonry saw to minimize the damage and maximize the dust.

If you care about such things check local codes before you begin.

Reply to
Colbyt

If you can make access to the ceiling space to provide power to the fixtures, use some form of remote control (wireless) for any switching needs. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Great idea! Thanks!

Reply to
MDixon1918

check out

I've been using their wireless remote control gizmos for several years now. Works great, and eases wiring.

Reply to
Toby

Do you know of a web site that markets or discusses the remote swithes?

Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker

Just be sure not to sign up for their email as they send stuff at leas once a day. I've been using their stuff for about 20 years now. It is compatible with Home Link that is in my car. I can turn a light on in the house while sitting in my driveway. I can turn on outside light from a few places in the house, including the bedroom. Hear noises during the night? One button turns on a bunch of lights inside and outside. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Bob Bowles

Lucky you! (re:1816 house). I grew up in New Mexico seeing many retro-fitted adobe homes. The drop-from-the-ceiling with remote sounds like a good idea. What I recall from NM is a fair amount of visible conduit. Better that than pretending original construction included invisible wiring.

Reply to
Frogleg

Thanks for the link. Tom

Reply to
Tom Baker

Paul A

Mark:

M > I've got an 1816 stone house, stuccoed on the outside and with plaster righ on M > the stone inside. One room is largish (18x22) and tends to be dark in the M > middle, so I want to cluster a few high-hats over the conversation area. T

M > get electricity to the lights and put a switch on the wall, however, it see s M > to me that I'm going to have to make a trench for the wires. That will dem nd M > a lot of chopping on the walls and, I imagine, an incredible mess -- plus t e M > project of plastering the wires over later.

Years ago they made a wide flat wire cable which was supposed to be able to be stick to the wall surface and mudded over. Of course the big caution was don't nail through it later.

In your case I'd probably try to run the ceiling light wiring in corners or in decorative woodwork like hollowed beams. If run along the mopboard add a cap to hide the wire.

The other poster's suggestion to use a wireless switch (consider a dimmer) would solve the problem of running the wire partway up the wall. X10.com, smarthome.com come to mind. Radio Shack also sells X-10 type devices but don't recall if they have what you need. A ceiling fan remote control kit may be useful also.

  • Oct. 16, 1878: Thomas A. Edison Light Electric Company founded.
Reply to
barry martin

Just use "Wire Mold". The stuff is not that bad looking, and is easy to install. You can paint it to match the walls too.

Reply to
Generic Male Homosapien

get lost bozo..

Reply to
3rd Generation

is that all you can say.....geez thought you were more intellectual than that. goby yourself a dicktionary. or is that just a dick in your hand.

Reply to
Chief