wiring a kitchen island

sounds great. until something spills in the outlet... which it will...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Face up plugs are a dangerous idea, re fluids, knife points, etc.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

I have looked into under counter wiring which seems sort of silly for surface appliances. I'm leaning toward face-up plugs like floor plugs but on the countertop. Any suggestions?

Also, foot traffic around an island seem to make using a "wall" plug somewhat dangerous.

TIA, Eric

Reply to
Eric Chomko

I agree. Assuming no backsplashes on the countertop the 2005 NEC requires the outlets within 12" below the countertop assuming there is less than a 6" overhang. You are right this can be a hazard particularly for kids, but not as big a hazard as face up. Another possibility is a box assembly designed for floors that would mount above the counter with the outlet on the side. Probably somewhat ugly.

Reply to
Bud

Wouldn't face-up plugs be problematic on a kitchen surface in the event of spills, especially liquid, but even flour/sugar/etc.

Reply to
Kevin

I've never used one personally but I think there is something called a pedestal ( or maybe a tombstone) that mounts through the island and allows the outlets to sit normally instead of face up. Face up seems to be a bad idea on a counter, something is bound to fall into them, it always happens with floor outlets and causes problems ( experience at work), and I bet this would be even worse on a kitchen counter.

Reply to
Mikey S.

My lower cabinets were stock pieces so I had placed 2.5 inch wide pieces of wood between certain cabinets. The outlets were installed there. I came down

5 inches from the top of the counter. I will admit that cords over the edge sounds bad. Practically I have not had one accident nor any one complain.

It took me about an hour each with my dremel, and several bits to do each hole and mount the box. The cabinet guy was impressed with the concept when we were done.

Face ups are prohibited by the NEC.

Surely you have ends somewhere on your island so you can install the outlets.

Reply to
SQLit

Codes are stated here are just as summaries and you should actually read what the code specifily states. IMHO:

2002 NEC 210.52(C)5 - Receptacles shall be located above the but not more than 20 inches. EXCEPTION: In the case of sub(b), you can install the receptacle no furhter than 12 inches below the counter top.

If you really want to avoid having to put one in, then you can get read what islands don't require one.

BTW, I heard you can use a tombstone outlet, to meet 210.52(C)5's requirements, and not put a receptacle below the counter top.

hth,

tom @

The Real Tom

the cover wont seal tight when its not on and you are using the outlet...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Look for ones where the cover seals tight, water or liquds spilled on the island could be an issue.

Thus the under counter mounting options.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Face up receptacles are specifically prohibited on countertops.

406.4(E) Receptacles in Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces in Dwelling Units. Receptacles shall not be installed in a face-up position in countertops or similar work surfaces.
Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: : Face up receptacles are specifically prohibited on countertops. : 406.4(E) Receptacles in Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces in : Dwelling Units. Receptacles shall not be installed in a face-up : position in countertops or similar work surfaces.

Got it. But it seems under countertop outlets are also dangerous. Looks like the only option is a pedestal or tombstone plug. I guess I just have to deal with hwat it looks like.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Chomko

my thought is you could rig some sort of cord holder attachment if it became that much of a problem that would keep the cord from being snagged and tripped on. maybe somethin with velcro, or just a plastic clip.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

SQLit ( snipped-for-privacy@cox.net) wrote: [...]

: Face ups are prohibited by the NEC.

After further thought and a lot of good advice from others, I think the pedestal idea is best. There are no cabinets above the island.

: Surely you have ends somewhere on your island so you can install the : outlets.

All there is are overhangs and they are over 6".

Eric

Reply to
Eric Chomko