wiring a ceiling fan

have have an old fan no diagram available to help wire it up. The ceiling box has 2 sets black and white wires coming into it, run by a dimmer switch on the wall. The fan has a light and has a black, white and green wire coming from it. I would like to wire it so that the light is controlled by the dimmer switch and the fan is controlled by the fan's pull chain. Any help greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Rob
On 02 Aug 2003, rob wrote:

Trying to figure out why you have 2 blacks and 2 whites in the ceiling box...a few questions for you -
Was anything previously wired into this box? and did it work?
If "yes" to above, any chance there is another (or multiple) fixtures in the room controlled by the same dimmer?
Any chance either of the two white wires has a piece of black electrical tape wrapped around it?
--
TP

no this light is the end of the line. Originally there was a chandelier type light controlled by a throw switch. I added the dimmer and this old cieling fan when I moved in. There were always 2 lines into the box and yes they were both hooked up and yes the fan and the dimmer both worked correctly. I removed the old fan to put up another chandelier type and didn't pay attention to the wiring, the wife didn't like the chandelier so I have to reinstall the the old fan again.
-Rob
I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

also just noted that one of the sets is constant, not switched power.
rob wrote:

Your ceiling box has a switched circuit and an always-on circuit (right?), but the wires leading into the fan unit are a single pair (black and white) which are internally switched (by pullchains) to control the fan and light. Therefore, you cannot control the fan and light externally and independently. You could buy a new fan unit, one that has a black, white, and probably a blue wire coming out. -B

On 02 Aug 2003, B wrote:

Chances are very good that the "black and blue" wires are wire-nutted together inside the fan switch housing. I've put a dozen light kits on ceiling fans, and the manufacturers give the consumer instructions on how to do it that way, in most cases.
--
TP

So, what is unusual about it?

This is incorrect. The power feed cable black wire is connected to the (hot) wire coming out of the fan (that is connected to the fan) _and_ to the switch leg cable white wire. That switch leg cable white wire should be marked with black tape in the ceiling box and also in the switch (dimmer) box. The white wire coming out of the fan is then connected to power feed cable white wire. The black wire from the switch leg cable then connects to the (needs to be pulled in) wire coming out of the fan (that is connected to the light). The fan will then be controlled by the pull chain and the light controlled by the dimmer switch.

Pulling in the extra wire for the light is correct and necessary.......but if the white wires are all connected together in the ceiling box as you mentioned above, connecting the (pulled in) light fixture wire to that "dimmer" black wire will do nothing whatsoever to turn on the light.

On 03 Aug 2003, volts500 wrote:

I also ASKED HIM about one of the wires being taped to indicate black, he said onthing of this.
if you're going to (wrongly) nitpick what I say, at least do it honestly, don't take words out of people's mouths and ignore what they're giving me as facts.
--
TP / Network Man __________________________________
If u want the races for free,

Go back and read your own post, the way you told him to connect the light ".....all 3 neutral/white wires get tied together with a wire nut." will _not_ work. In this case, just because the white wire isn't marked with black tape doesn't mean that it isn't being used to feed the switch......as was common practice years ago (and permitted by NEC back then). The correct method back then was that it was required to feed the switch with the white wire and the black wire was required to be the return wire to the light (switch leg). The requirement to mark the white wire with black tape is only a recent NEC change, thus it is not uncommon to see unmarked white wires being used to power up switches in older houses (pre-1996, IIRC).

Nitpick? The light will _never_ work if he connects it the way you told him to do it. Are these _not_ your words from an earlier post?: "OK, the black white and green coming from the fan/light -- 1st things first: the green attaches to a ground screw in the ceiling box, hopefully along with ground wires from the other two cables coming into the box. You don't mention them, but they should be there. 2nd: All 3 neutral/white wires get tied together with a wire nut. You might want to label your switched and "constant" black leads to avoid confusion."
"All 3 neutral/white wires get tied togehter with a wire nut"......wrong. Bad dog! NO bone!

This is Turtle.
When talking to Tommy Boy , you have to remember one thing. Tommy thinks the NEC code stands for Non Electrically Concerned code. You only follow it if you want to , and if you are called a Lesstrican. If you are call a Electrician you have to follow the the real NEC code. There is a big difference here and you need to know the difference to be able to talk to tommy. There is a big difference between the Lesstrican and the Electrican titles.
TURTLE

The fan should also have a blue or red wire for that to work.
OK... heres what I did to get it to work... took constant black and switchline black to fanlight black, switchline white to fangreen (light) and fanwhite to constant white. If anyone sees a problem here please let me know! thanks again.
-Rob
Gary Tait wrote:

Tommy, get those small hands out of the electrical box and put them back where they know what they are doing.
You have proven time and time again that you don't have a clue about electrical practices, nor do you understand anything about the letters "NEC".
Your advice is dangerous, wrong-headed, and just plain harmful.