wiring

I have a short run of outlets as follows: power from panel to an outlet which continues to a second outlet and stops there. What I want to do is tap into this circuit to put an outlet in an adjoining room (a treadmill in the next room requires its own circuit so I want to use this existing circuit which only has the two outlets). The wires are not long enough to get to the new outlet

How do I add this new outlet (wiring wise) to the existing circuit?

Thanks

Edee Em I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in....

Reply to
edee em

You didn't give enough info to help much other than to state the obvious. Buy the following: a book on wiring, some more wire (same gauge size as the existing) , a box, outlet, wirenuts, cable staples, cover plate. Shut off power and tap into the circuit from one of the existing outlet boxes. You should add pig-tales if not already there Are the walls finished or unfinished? If you are just trying to add a outlet from one room to the adjoining room then note that the 2 boxes should not be in the same wall stud cavity (per NEC and/or fire code). Go to one side or the other and drill a hole in the stud for the new wire. Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

OK EDM. To coin a phrase this sounds like 'an inside job'. Or a troll? Seems quite possible from what you describe, in a typical North American setting. Other countries, in Europe for example, have different wiring methods and regulations and may involve the masonry/brick construction of many homes. However since you have to ask! Respectfully suggest you get someone knowledgeable to help you. The routing of the wiring, the gauge of the wire to be purchased and used (is that a 15 amp circuit or a 20 amp outlets circuit?), the length and method of getting the wire to the location of your new outlet, the type of outlet box and how it can be mounted into whatever type of wall you have adjacent to the treadmill and other 'bits and pieces' needed (miscellaneous screws/wire nuts etc.) and finally but most importantly the correct wiring and testing of the outlet require information and knowledge of what items to buy. At a guess (from very little info available in your post) assuming the new outlet is less than 20 feet away and that the wire CAN be run 'protected within a wall structure'? you may be talking about less than twenty dollars for new materials. But to do the work may require drilling holes with an electric drill and a large drill bit, cutting a hole i the plasterboard or other type of wall structure, avoiding other wires and pipes, the use of a 'fish-tape' to pull wires through the wall cavity, pliers, hand tools such as cutters and wire strippers screwdrivers of several sizes etc. A competent person will probably have such tools to the value of at least $100; plus the time and knowledge to do the job safely. Ding such work too it is always possible to break a drill bit or snap a saw blade etc. These cost! Important is to get (again this is for North America!) the black and white wires on the right screw connections of the outlets. The outlet will often seem to work Ok even if wired wrongly, but is unsafe! The proper ground connection (green or bare wire) at each end of your new run is vital. Personal safety of family/self/others and insurance requirements are the consideration to getting it done. Good luck. Terry. PS. Any do-it-yourself activity such as this is good exercise too!

Reply to
Terry