Wiring 220 V pool Timer - HElp

I was replacing the timer on my pool pump. I went out and bought a new timer and am ready to rewire. However, I notice that I have black wire with 4 wires inside coming from the house, but I have white wire with only the conventional 2 wires and the bare ground going from the switch to the pool pump. Is this right. They are using the white and black as the 2 (110)wires coming out of the switch to the pump. Shouldn't I have the same type of 4 wire going from the switch as there is coming to the switch. Any advice appreciated from electrical people. Thanks

John W

Reply to
John W

You have a cable or conduit with four wires coming from the house, and a cable or conduit with two wires and ground going to the pump.

The wires going to the pump are fine, two hot legs and ground. You need to look at the existing timer wires and see how they are connected, and identify them. With four wires from the house, it's possible that one of them isn't being used. It's also possible you have two hot legs for the 240 volt and a neutral and ground. The motor of the old time clock could be 120 volt not 240 volt, which would require the neutral.

Reply to
RBM

Before you take anything apart observe how the existing wiring is connected. Maybe you should make a diagram. I am guessing that the black cable is carrying 220 volts, a neutral, and a grounding conductor. The neutral may be used for the pump timer only. The pool pump is probably 220 volts. The grounding conductors should be connected together. You can open up the electrical panel to confirm this.

Reply to
John Grabowski

It sounds like the pump is connected with UF cable, that is wrong.

680.22 requires an insulated ground. The right way to fix this is to use a raceway (could be flexible non metalic) with insulated conductors.
Reply to
gfretwell

Absolutely. No maybe about it. grin.

Diagrams can help anyone, and anyone who relies on the colors matching should always make a detailed drawing and diagram.

Reply to
mm