Wiring ????

All,
I am having a new home built and the builder placed only 1 ceiling mount for lighting in the kitchen. For some reason, I overlooked the need for additional lighting via recessed or those fancy hanging lights over the bar.
Any recommendations on how to add the appropriate wiring now? Any help appreciated.
Thanks, Dan.
--
a66cobra1
a66cobra1 wrote:

is now a requirement in many areas. Talk to the builder.
Jim
Retro fit ceiling boxes like the Westinghouse 1100 can be installed from below sheetrock through a 4inch round hole but the cable to the switch and feed will probably require some notching . I'd talk to the electrician on the job

That is where the main problem occurs. I guess I was wondering if it is at all possible to "fish" the ceiling as home security installers do when they go up and down the walls and such?
--
a66cobra1
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:28:08 -0400, a66cobra1

Sure. New electical boxes for outlets, lights, switches are installed all the time in "old" construction by fishing wires. You may likely need sheetrock patching and repainting after it's done, however.
BTW, it helps to quote at minimum the pertinent part of the post you are responding to, as an aid to comprehension :-).
--
Luke
There are some really nice looking newer "track lighting" styles that don't look anything like the traditional track lighting. Home Depot has a few of them -- if you have an IKEA near you they have many more. In these designs the wiring is meant to be exposed -- and part of "the look".
a66cobra1 wrote:

How big is the kitchen? If ceiling is all done up no much can be done. You can mount a track light bar or florescent fixture box. Other than that, need soem work to install fancy lighting. Good luck, Tony
a66cobra1 wrote:

Done that...
Installed L shaped halos, and covered up nothes with crown molding.
Brian
Fishing wire is an art. Consider less than obvious routes. More wire but easier fishing. For instance, run the wire into an adjacent utility room and make your cross joist run there where imperfections in drywall will be less important.
or remove some siding and sheething outside to run the wires. May actually be easier depending on location and construction methods.
Did you take pictures of everything before the sheetrock went up?

I agree with the art of wire fishing. Rather than DIY, you would likely be ahead if you can find a well experienced "old work" electrician. Don't expect too much, as unforseen obstacles come up, but a good man can get a wire from any point to any other point with a minimum of damage. Don Young