Wires??

Hooking up a new stovetop. From wall.....green/black/red. From stove....green/black/white. Can I hook the white to red?? (Is the red a ground wire?)
I know this is a stupid question to most of you, but I am a novice.

Do you even know if the supply is adequate?

NO! If you did not know this, don't try and do this yourself. We would like to see you back here again. Honestly.
We could tell you want wires should be hooked up, but I am a little conderned that if there was something not quite right, which happens, you would not notice it and could end up doing serious damage to yourself or someone in your home.
Please find a pro this time.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Ok...will take that advice!! Thanks so much. I was tempted to try to do it myself.....just for the satisfaction, but would rather not take that chance. (I was going to turn off the main breaker, but am a little nervous now to even take that chance) Thanks again!! Oh, by the way, the guy at HD did tell me that there should be no problem with the hookup, as I had another stovetop there previously. So I think the wiring is compatible....just the person wiring (me) is not educated enough in this field to give it a try.

Our new cooktop needed huskier wiring than the old one used.
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:12:32 GMT, "Meleah Foreman"

It sounds as though the original might have been for 220V and the new one is 120V.
Call in an expert -- or, in the absence of an expert, a professional.
MB
On 01/26/04 03:14 pm Meleah Foreman put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

white. You'd do well with a pro's advice here. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

what you proposed. Never hook up wires you are not certain about. Sounds like the voltage on your existing circuit MAY be 220v- black and red POSSIBLY being hots, and green ground. This is a maybe.
The green, black, white wires on your stovetop MAY be 120v- the Black being hot, the white neutral, and the green ground. Again, this is a maybe. Your stove's installation manual should tell you what the electrical requirements are.
For your information, red wires are USUALLY hot. White are USUALLY neutral. Hooking them together would trip your breaker or pop your fuse.
Unless you are very comfortable working with electrical wiring, and judging from you post you are not, then call in a pro.
Dave
Thanks so much everyone for your advice!! I took it and had someone else hook up my stovetop. My house and new countertop are still intact thanks to me not doing it and I was able to cook!
Thanks again and have a great week.
Meleah