Wires??

Hooking up a new stovetop. From wall.....green/black/red. From stove....green/black/white. Can I hook the white to red?? (Is the red a ground wire?)

I know this is a stupid question to most of you, but I am a novice.

Reply to
Meleah Foreman

You bought a stovetop that didn't have installation instructions?! Do you even know if the supply is adequate?

Reply to
Toller

NO! If you did not know this, don't try and do this yourself. We would like to see you back here again. Honestly.

We could tell you want wires should be hooked up, but I am a little conderned that if there was something not quite right, which happens, you would not notice it and could end up doing serious damage to yourself or someone in your home.

Please find a pro this time.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Meleah Foreman

It sounds as though the original might have been for 220V and the new one is 120V.

Call in an expert -- or, in the absence of an expert, a professional.

MB

On 01/26/04 03:14 pm Meleah Foreman put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Red is usually a "hot" leg on a 220 circuit. Don't hook it to the neutral white. You'd do well with a pro's advice here. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

The only stupid question is one you don't ask. Good you asked before doing what you proposed. Never hook up wires you are not certain about. Sounds like the voltage on your existing circuit MAY be 220v- black and red POSSIBLY being hots, and green ground. This is a maybe.

The green, black, white wires on your stovetop MAY be 120v- the Black being hot, the white neutral, and the green ground. Again, this is a maybe. Your stove's installation manual should tell you what the electrical requirements are.

For your information, red wires are USUALLY hot. White are USUALLY neutral. Hooking them together would trip your breaker or pop your fuse.

Unless you are very comfortable working with electrical wiring, and judging from you post you are not, then call in a pro.

Dave

Reply to
DaveG

Thanks so much everyone for your advice!! I took it and had someone else hook up my stovetop. My house and new countertop are still intact thanks to me not doing it and I was able to cook!

Thanks again and have a great week.

Meleah

Reply to
Meleah Foreman