wirenutting twisted and solid wire

Does anyone have a sure fire method for wirenutting/pigtailing stranded and solid wire together? Seems like when I do it half the time the stranded will pull out when light force is applied to the wire. Does it help to cut the solid wire a bit shorter than the stranded wire so that the stranded wire can wrap around the end of the solid wire and not push out when screwed onto the wire nut?

Reply to
Eigenvector

Some types of wire nuts just grab better than others. Twist the wires together then cut the end off so they're even, then screw on the nut. Be sure to hold both the wires together tightly as you screw on the nut

Reply to
RBM

Put the stranded wire into the wire nut first, then add the solid, so the stranded is deeper in the wire nut, the threads will cut into the solid and have a good hold of the stranded.

Reply to
DanG

I always twist the wires together using pliers before I screw on the wirenut.

Reply to
John Grabowski

That always works well for me.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Alright, I've give that a shot. Sounds like the stranded gets essentially "stuffed" into the wire nut by the solid.

BTW: It does help to use good wire nuts. The ones that I have are perfectly fine for 2 12 gauge, but with stranded they tend to be less secure.

Reply to
Eigenvector

possibly then its the wire nut. How you describe it sounds like my technique, so maybe a better wire nut will help?

Reply to
Eigenvector

Sounds like you and DanG are in agreement.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Greetings,

Although your connections should be secure without this "trick" you can try continuing to turn the wire nut until the insulated portion of the wires twists as well (for a short distance). This reduces the chances that the wires will pull out in practice. DON'T OVERTWIST THE INSULATED WIRES or you may damage the insulation.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

You answered your own question.

The trick is to twist the all the solids. Then when you put the stranded beside the copper let the strands stick up a little farther than the solid. It will make a solid catch every time.

Reply to
Terry

Actually, IMHO you are better off to not twist the wires together prior to inserting them into the wire nut based on my experience. The quality of the wire nut also matters.

Reply to
Jackson