wirenutting twisted and solid wire

Does anyone have a sure fire method for wirenutting/pigtailing stranded and solid wire together? Seems like when I do it half the time the stranded will pull out when light force is applied to the wire. Does it help to cut the solid wire a bit shorter than the stranded wire so that the stranded wire can wrap around the end of the solid wire and not push out when screwed onto the wire nut?
Some types of wire nuts just grab better than others. Twist the wires together then cut the end off so they're even, then screw on the nut. Be sure to hold both the wires together tightly as you screw on the nut

Actually, IMHO you are better off to not twist the wires together prior to inserting them into the wire nut based on my experience. The quality of the wire nut also matters.

Put the stranded wire into the wire nut first, then add the solid, so the stranded is deeper in the wire nut, the threads will cut into the solid and have a good hold of the stranded.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

I always twist the wires together using pliers before I screw on the wirenut.

That always works well for me.
--
Regards,

Sounds like you and DanG are in agreement.
Eigenvector wrote:

Greetings,
Although your connections should be secure without this "trick" you can try continuing to turn the wire nut until the insulated portion of the wires twists as well (for a short distance). This reduces the chances that the wires will pull out in practice. DON'T OVERTWIST THE INSULATED WIRES or you may damage the insulation.
Hope this helps, William
On Sun, 13 May 2007 16:08:02 -0700, "Eigenvector"

You answered your own question.
The trick is to twist the all the solids. Then when you put the stranded beside the copper let the strands stick up a little farther than the solid. It will make a solid catch every time.