Wirenuts Part II

I use tape around wirenuts for added assurance the wirenut is not going to back off or come loose which I have seen happen. I wrap the tape in the direction that will pull the wirenut tight.

Reply to
MC

Also, tape is used to cover up the mistake you made when you stripped the wire too much (so the bare part won't all fit under the wire nut).

Reply to
Tim T

Lot of info on the web, looks like terminal strips are used a lot in marine wiring. I couldn't find a cross-reference for the Radio Shack item, but what looks the same at a manufacturer site is rated 20 A per connection. One manufacturer even makes junction boxes with these strips built in. They do make for a neat and easily read junction box. These strips come with a wire protector below the screw shank. If that's the case with the RS one also then it is a better connection than a wirenut all around.

Reply to
Nexus7

Some of us who use tape don't let a bare part remain that way; off comes the wirenut and appropriate correction is made. Once it's right, THEN we tape.

Reply to
clifto

: >>>I was always taught the 'right' way to use wire nuts was to pretwist or : >>>'pigtail' the bare wires first, apply the wirenut in correct size and then : >>>use vynyl tape over all as insurance. : >>

: >>

: >> Tape always looks like you are trying to hide something. As neat as you : >> do it initially, it always looks like hell after a period of time. : >>

: >> I always say: electrical tape is not for joints - there are only two : >> reasons I keep electrical tape in my electrical tool box: : >>

: >> 1) For attaching wire to a fish tape/line for pulling (temporary use) : >>

: >> 2) I like to use a short piece of tape applied tightly and neatly : >> to hold anti-shorts in place on BX cable ends : >>

: >I use tape around wirenuts for added assurance the wirenut is not going : >to back off or come loose which I have seen happen. I wrap the tape in : >the direction that will pull the wirenut tight. : : Also, tape is used to cover up the mistake you made when you stripped : the wire too much (so the bare part won't all fit under the wire nut).

You can always tell which people read/parrot past posts so they can sound competent, can't you? Usually it's the incompetent ones who do that, too. Eh, Timmy?

Reply to
Pop

LOL

BTW, I understand that. You don't.