Wiremold for outdoor use?

I need to extend an 110V outdoor outlet box for 10 feet horizontally and 8 feet vertically along the outside of my house. This is for security lighting. The outside of the house is stucco. The inside is 16" studs and wallboard.

Can I use wiremold or do I need to use conduit, which would be unsightly. Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Walter

Walter E.

I dont think they sell a waterproof wiremold, but it never hurts to ask a supplier. I think I once saw a website too. Maybe wiremold.com Why is conduit unsightly. It's just a half inch pipe. Use plastic or steel, your choice. Then paint it to match the house. You might be able to put the horizontal run under the overhang, or on the foundation rught below the siding, and maybe cover it with trim. Can you come right out of the foundation from the basement? Run it to your breaker box. Then you only have the vertical run to see. Another option would be to run the wiremold INSIDE the house and just exit the wall right where you want the fixture. It's either that, or rip the house apart. Your choice !!!

I just looked, here's the wiremold website.

Or just use wiremold.com (thats how I got there).

Reply to
handyman

*Cut a 10' long 5" wide channel in the inside wallboard and drill out each stud. Wallboard is easier to patch and paint. Wiremold is not rated for outdoor use, though I have seen it used outdoors. It rusts.

Run conduit underground 10' and then mount a weatherproof box down low. Come out of the back of the box into the wall and fish your wire up the wall.

Reply to
John Grabowski

You could probably get away with using PVC wire ducting if you use wire that is insulated for wet locations and it is installed in a fashion that will not allow water to jeopardize the structure, junction boxes, or fixtures.

Why not hide the conduit in a wood or PVC molding of some sort while using standard bell box extensions and fixture boxes?

Make sure to clear everything with a local inspector. They don't mind you asking questions.

Reply to
MIB

Conduit's no problem and looks OK as long as it's neatly put up and painted the same color as that which it's installed over. IMO anyway.

Reply to
Twayne

Is there a receptacle box inside the wall, in close proximity of where the exterior box needs to go?

Tap a wire in the inside an go through the wall from the inside with a long bit. Pull a wire and fix minor damage to the wall. Touch up paint.

Run electrical conduit under the weep screed at the bottom of the stucco, then go vertical. Paint it.

Not an electrician, just thinking out loud...

Reply to
Oren

I didn't think anything was uglier than wiremold. If it has to be done externally, I'd do it in EMT with rain-tite fittings, but I would first look to see if there isn't an outlet on an interior wall near the location where you want the fixture. If there is, you can usually tap back to back from it.

Reply to
RBM

In security 101 class, they tell you to not put security lighting ON the building, since it creates a dark spot underneath for people to hide. Security lighting should be away from the building, pointing AT it. I'd bury the wire in the sod, using suitable burial-rated cable or conduit, and put it on a decorative pole. Add arms for flower pots or bird feeders or whatever to make the pole look less menacing. You didn't mention running a switch leg, so I take it this light will be on a sensor and always hot?

Reply to
aemeijers

On 5/22/2010 11:40 AM Walter E. spake thus:

To answer your question about Wiremold, no, they don't make anything suitable for exterior use. I can say that with confidence since I have their complete catalog (from last year). Lots of interior "systems" but nothing for outdoors.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl