Wireless weather station

Hi, Revisiting beaten path. Tired of looking out to read the dial. Just for reading outside temperature, any recommendation/suggestion? TIA,

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I would just install a low end (mainly to address your requirement) wireless weather station such as this:

George

Depends on what all you really want. There are plenty of simple thermometer with outside sensors. OTOH, if you want to see rain information, barometer, wind speeds and more, you need a full station.

This is the one I have

Note it is discounted for cosmetic imperfections. I've had mine for 6 months and have not seen the imperfection yet.

I have mine mounted on the deck using a 10' length of 3/4" copper tubing to get it higher for proper wind results, the temperature sensor is under the deck in the shade.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Tony,

Point your browser to

and take a look at mine. I realize that it is more than you wanted but the neat thing is that it is wireless and will upload to the Internet as you wish (of course, you will need your own domain). By doing it this way I can see what the weather is like at home no matter where I am at on the planet. The unit is made by La Crosse Technology and IIRC in the $150 range. If you want some more details, just e-mail.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

I got a couple of these from Sams. One for me years ago and later one for my 85 year old mother, at first she didn't like it but now she can't get along without it. I'd suggest mounting the sensor where it will always in the shade and accurate, yet easy to access because the batteries will need changing a couple times a year. Walmart has them now.

Fatter Than Ever Moe

Be careful with the low-end units. I've tried a few brands and have always had problems with the outdoor readings.

I currently have a slightly older version this AcuRite model:

It currently reads - - for the outside temp, even after changing the batteries. That means it has lost communications with the outdoor unit.

What I find it that on occasion I have to take it outside and set it next to the transmitter until it locks in. Then I can bring it inside until the next time it loses reception. This happens 2 - 3 times a year, sometimes even right after changing the batteries and resetting them as per the instrcutions.

I had the same problem with another low-end unit that I got as a gift. Sorry, but I don't recall the brand.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Mine from walmart, about $15. I really like it. Takes AAA cells, and needs battery change once a year or so. I use carbon zinc cells for the indoor unit, I get the cheapy batteries in Harbor Freight short flash lights and want to use them up. I put the sending unit on the shade side of my trailer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I got one for $20 or so at WalMart a few years ago. Works fine. Inside, outside, maximum, minimum, easy enough for even me to use.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Thanks all. Found La Grosse low end one on sale for 19.00. That'll do it for me.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I looked at these units at Wal-mart last year. The outside sensor was only good down to 0 degrees F. I bought one at Lowes last week that was rated to minus 40 degrees (necessary here). So far it is working fine. The sensor is mounted on a post about 50 feet from the house to get the lowest possible reading on very cold nights. The sun can get on it but at 6 AM that is not a problem.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

I know you found one, but I'll add my two cents worth in case anyone else is looking. Last year I was looking for an indoor/outdoor thermometer. Somehow I stumbled across

. They have a number of different types of weather stations, most of which seemed to be from LaCrosse. I ended up buying a two pack for a really good price plus they were having a holiday sale. So now I have one display in my bedroom and one in the hallway. I had a problem with the first set (one kept displaying indoor in Fahrenheit and outdoor in Celsius) and the company was very good about exchanging, even though I was technically outside of the two week exchange period. The units I have actually say "weather channel" on them.

Reply to
Lee B

I got an ACU*RITE from i don't know where. It works fine. The exact one i have is not on amazon, but this one is very similiar.

Steve Barker