Wireless TV Interface

Page 2 of 2
On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 6:13:52 PM UTC-4, Dave C wrote:

i just bought alifetime tivo, it uses wifi with lots of options.
one might be useful for the op

Thanks for the many replies !! To clarify some of my errors and omiissions.
I did mean that he has the older 3 wire component audio/ video, with RCA jacks?
The attic space/ head room is most limited, from the current Cable box closet area, to the hanging TV. The ceiling has insulation batts running across the top of the joists. There is no physical support, to crawl on top of the joists. I assume the original owner made that 3 wire component run, before the ceiling was finished.
His remote controller must be microwave (v optical). He can command the cable box, through the dry wall side of the closet, from the TV viewing room. While not optimum, it works.
I would be concerned about the suggested options, of pulling a HDMI (or coax) cable, by utilizing the existing wires. If he fails, where he is unable to complete the new HDMI run, then he will use of the TV. (Unhappy wife).
I was under the impression, that an HDMI cable input would provide a superior TV picture/ performance, vs the current 3 wire?

Perhaps we should be sure we have the terms right. Composite ia a single video coax and 2 audio signals (3 RCA jacks) Component is 3 video coaxes (RGB) and 2 wires for audio (5 RCA jacks) You will only get NTSC quality signals out of a composite video that has not really improved since color TV came out in the 50s Component video will give you HD if that is what the signal is. You probably will not see much difference either way with an SD broadcast.
On Sunday, May 8, 2016 at 2:33:35 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

+1
On Sunday, May 8, 2016 at 1:48:03 PM UTC-4, Dave C wrote:

As long as there is room to be able to crawl, doesn't sound so bad to me. For a limited operation like that you can just support yourself joist to joist. Or get a length of plywood, lay it across. The insulation on top makes it a little more difficult, I'm assuming that is extra that was added on top. If so, you can probably just roll it back, do the work, put it back. You already have the holes drilled for the existing cables. Should be pretty straightforward.

Make sure the wood you place across the joists Can support your weight. It's no fun if it breaks while you Are standing on it. Don't ask me how I know this.
On Sun, 8 May 2016 18:38:55 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I made up some 1x12s with cleats that lock into the truss chords. (26" long with the cleats at 22.5"). Those are easy to move around in areas that do not have nailed in flooring and you can slide one out in front of you, pull the trailing one behind if you are in a very low part of the attic. We have 2:12s and 3:12s here that are only 4 or 5' high at the peak.
On Sunday, May 8, 2016 at 1:05:23 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

Doesn't the Tivo have to be at the point where there is cable, ie the closet? And then Tivo connects to the TV via HDMI, so I don't see how that solves anything?