wireless fence

Page 1 of 2
Hello all,
I have a dog that is roaming too much. I would like to try one of the collars that work with a "wireless" fence.
Does anyone have experience or recommendations?
Thanks
Caesar Romano wrote:

We got our Invisible Fence over 15 years and several dogs ago. When it was first installed the dealer did the initial training of the dogs so that we wouldn't be seen as the bad guys. The important thing to recognize is that it's really a training aid to help the dogs learn and remember where the boundary is located. Also, when they do get out -- as sometimes happens when in high speed pursuit of that rabbit or squirrel -- they have an equally hard time getting back. So you need to be able to go to them and be the rescuer.
wrote Re Re: wireless fence:

Thanks for the comment. The product I am thinking of is http://www.thepetstoreonline.com/petsafe-pif-300-instant-wireless-dog-fence.html?utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=CSE&utm_content=product-PIF-300&zmams771597&zmas=3&zmacc&zmap=PIF-300
we works by applying a corrective when (and while) the dog is out of rang of a transmitter i.e. all the time the dog is "outside" the fence. It does seem like initial training is going to be important.

I have a Parson Russell Terror, I mean Terrier. The invisible fence with the proper training works great. I love it and it was worth every dime. I think you can buy and install the systems yourself , but I think the training is vital for the thing to work properly and I'm sure there are books that explain how to do it.

Instead of a dedicated wireless fence I would look into dog collars w/ a remote.
You can train them at a distance, let him chase to intruder down the road and then call him off!
Hunting dogs are trained with just the collar. Check Bass Pro Shop , Cabalas ( see Dog Supplies )
http://www.cabelas.com/hunting.shtml
Caesar Romano wrote:

My neighbor has one. The dog runs right through it a lot. My pellet gun sends him back home.
Thanks to all for the comments.

The wireless fence is only as good as the owner. What I mean is, if YOU don't keep fresh batteries in the collar, or keep the unit turned on, it is useless. Even a chain link fence is not 100% reliable. Shit happens and dogs get out.
Whenever I see a dog get loose, I blame the owner, not the fencing or the dog.
Hank

Not as good as a physical fence. My neighbor has one and their dogs are always running at large, one got run over.

Brother-in-law's Jack Russell runs through his- then when he gets hungry he whines at the outside of the fence. The motivation to return is not strong enough to get shocked again.
I'd go for a real fence or trolley. And if the dog is a runner I"d look into GPS for him. I looked at them a couple years ago & they were real expensive- but there was a cell-phone one where you could not only see where your dog was online- you could tell him to "Go home" remotely. [and listen in to what was going on, too] I don't think this is the one I saw- but it is one of the cell-phones-for-dogs out there; http://www.petsmobility.com /
Jim
"KLS" wrote:

Every few weeks around here the police report a pitbull getting into someone's fenced yard and killing their dog. Even in the good neighborhoods.
Of course, the pitbull owners swear up and down that their dog is harmless, but reality paints a much different picture.
Jon

I have an English Shepherd and I have the radio controlled style of invisible fence. It doesn't have an underground wire. It uses radio waves to send a signal over the air to the collars receiver. I would recommend it 100%. The other thing that is nice with this system is it's portable enough to take anywhere. It's great if you go camping because you can take it with you and set it up anywhere. It's adjustable to go from about a 10 foot radius up to about a 90 foot radius. It's about $300 or a bit less compared to $200 or a bit less for the buried wire kind. The only time my dog has ever gone thru it is when the battery went dead. That was my fault cause the low battery light was on for a few days before and I hadn't made the time to get a new one. They only zap when the dog gets out of range of the transmitter and continue to do so until the dog gets back. That eliminates the run through that some dogs learn with the underground wire kind. Beleive me the dogs learn fast with this style. I just thought of one other time he went through it. He was following me on the tractor and couldn't hear the warning beeps. I felt bad for him when he started yelping. I never even thought of it as he was following me.
http://www.radiofence.com/dog-fences/petsafe-wireless-instant-dog-fence.htm I know Home Depot and Tractor supply sell them. I would imagine that Walmart does too.
Jesse wrote:

So if you have a power outage and the transmitter goes down, does the dog get zapped until the power comes back (or the battery goes down)?
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:20:48 -0700 (PDT), Jesse

This is the kind I'm thinking about. I like the idea of it being portable. When you go camping I'm guessing that you don't need the flags that are used for the initial training, and that after the initial training the audio warning is sufficient.
wrote Re Re: wireless fence:

a passion. I've always found it far easier (and far cheaper) to teach a decent recall to my dogs. The biggest gripe I have about invisible fences is they don't do a thing to keep other critters out which would make my dog vulnerable. I guess I can understand them more when people live in places like the suburbs, with restrictions against certain types of fences but living rurally I never have understood why people get them. I can put up a real fence for less than half the price and keep things out as well as keep my dogs in.

Speaking to a prisoner one day, I asked "do you now why we have fences around this place? They are here to keep the wild animals out!!"
wireless fence:

Good points Terri. Perhaps I should elaborate.
We live in a rural area also. Our dogs are outside pets that do not come into the house. The dogs are free-ranging. The only fences we have are barbed wire and we are not interested in putting up any kind of fences just for the dogs. Mostly, the dogs stay on the property, but sometimes the female beagle (she's a bad dog) will run off at night to go down the road to check out the neighbors. Since this is a rural area, lots of dogs run free. However, this one particular neighbor has some indoor yappy dogs that get to yapping when our dog visits outside. This understandably annoys the neighbor so I would like to try to keep the bad dog from running off at night.
Of course the best solution would be for the neighbor to pellet my dog. He would only have to do it once or twice and the problem would be solved. However, his eye sight is not very good and he doesn't want to try it, so I'm looking to alternatives.
This "wireless" fence thing looks like it would be effective, but it's getting too expensive. I'll probably just train her to accept a chain at night.

First of all, beagles are famous for roaming: they follow their noses. Second, why not just build a small pen specifically for nighttime confinement? Or keep the dogs in a shed or a garage?
Re: wireless fence:

Thanks for the good suggestions. Right now we are trying a long leash at night. If that doesn't work, we'll try a small pen.
Caesar Romano wrote:

We've used PetSafe with good success for quite a few years. They're onine also.
HTH,
Twayne