wireless doorbells

I had one at the old house, except I wired it to the mailbox.
It worked great. I did it mostly for my father. My father passed, and I was remodling the house. The was a couple times I did hear the chimes go off, thinking abut the problem of interference. One day I get the transmitter and look outside and pressed the button. Sure enough a neighbor up the street came out the front door. A good while later I was at the neighbors house and talking led to the doorbell. She told be for a year or two they heard the doorbell go off almost every day and would look outside. Every time the mailman would be comming up the street and they would wait for their mail. I explained everything and it was funny.
greg

Mike :-)

Good question, I may need to crosspost to alt.psychology.psychoanalysis. ;)

I had to see if alt.psychology.psychoanalysis was real. It could be a lot fun, to bad it's not a busier newsgroup. Light on spam though!
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:22:09 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dennism3.invalid (Dennis M) wrote: (...)
"Turning a Heath / Zenith Wireless Doorbell into a Remote Control Relay" <http://www.hackersbench.com/Projects/ding-dong/main.html
On Oct 13, 7:22pm, snipped-for-privacy@dennism3.invalid (Dennis M) wrote:

No but you can get crud in the cheap switches. The way mine worked was that the battery was in series with the switch so until you press the button its just off. Battery should last similar to shelf life. The only way it could have sent a false signal is if the switch was shorted.
Disclaimer: There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Jimmie
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:22:09 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dennism3.invalid (Dennis M) wrote:

No. Smoke detectors have to have a special circuit to keep track of when the battery voltage goes down, because it's a matter of life and death.
OTOH if the doorbell doesn't work, people can knock. They can bang on the window, they can telephone, they can send a letter.

Carbon zinc, alkaline, nickel-cadmium, lithium ion, NiMH3?????
But I didn't post just to be sarcastic. As it happens, my wireless doorbell rang at 5 this morning, well before I had to get up. I was going to ignore it but I thought, Maybe my car is on fire. If it were, it would probably be too late to do anything about it, but I got up. I looked out the front window and saw no flames, and no one on the sidewalk who could have rung the bell.
I went back to bed, and 10 minutes later it rang again. bzzzzz-=-==bzzz=-=-=bzzzz. By this time I was awake. I'd forgotten and left the computer on so I went to the computer. It went off 10 or 15 times in the next hour. I've had this thing for about 10 years and this is the first trouble it gave me. A real cheap one too, maybe %2.50 from Sunset House, a mail order place.
But I didnt' use any batteries. I have a real doorbell with a transformer and a bell in the front hall and the basement, but couldn't hear it in my 2n'd floor office with the computer fan and radio. In the basement, I rectify the 18 volt transformer output and use a resistor to lower the voltage to what the button should take, and when someone pushes the front door button, the button is powered and the receiver in the upstairs hall makes noises.
Anyhow, I unplugged the receiver and the wall was very dirty behind it, even though I had had this thing there for maybe 10 years, and 2 months ago it was barely dirty at all. That's as far as I've gotten so far.
P&M After tomorrow at noon or so, I won't be around for several days.

And btw, the main doorbell button is as good as new (It's only a year old) and I have to press it against spring pressure a full quarter inch to ring the bell. That's not the problem.
mm wrote:

had a set of movable jumpers in both the receiver and transmitter to set a code. I played with it a little (no manual!) until I got them talking to each other with a different setting - and the problem went away.
Just place a sign at your door reading:
I don't have a doorbell. Please yell out Ding Dong.
Stepfann King wrote:

No bell? I have door gong, it plays Westminster chime LOUD. It is a motorized mechanism with 5 tunes pipes. 3 different tunes for front, side, back door.
Tony Hwang wrote:

speaking of which, can anyone recommend a commonly available doorbell that a) isn't cheezy looking b) is a real bell, not an electronic thing and c) is loud enough to be heard throughout an older house with plaster walls? If I'm not on the main floor of my house, I simply can't hear the doorbell. At some point in time someone put a lot of insulation in the ceiling of the basement, presumably for sound insulation, which probably doesn't help.
I've been keeping an eye out for an old long bell door chime from the 30's or 40's but they seem to command premium prices.
My house isn't that big, but the rather normal-looking doorbell that I have, with the two flat xylophone bars, just isn't loud enough to carry throughout it.
Ideas?
thanks
Nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

And you need to be sure that your transformer is heavy duty enough to operate several bells at once.
--
Peace,
BobJ

hahaha, that was the easy part of the project. Snaking a wire to the second floor was the big challenge. I also dropped a wire down to my workshop in the basement. On that one I put a illuminated doorbell like deaf people use. That way I can see it if I'm wearing hearing protection and making a lot of noise in the shop. With adding two additional bells, I replaced the transformer with a new one. The existing was over 50 years old and rusted out.
Bernie

On 17 Oct 2009 04:16:22 GMT, Stepfann King

After reading some of your recent posts I have come to the conclusion that you are one of the most worthless contributors this group has ever had.
Gordon Shumway
One positive thing about 'Cash for Clunkers' is that it took thousands of Obama bumper stickers off the road.