wire rope puller question

Hello

I have been using a 'wire rope puller', also called a 'hand puller." I always called it a "come-a-long."

Anyway, two set of teeth lock into the ratchet - one holds the tension while the other advances.

It is easy to disengage one or the other, but how the heck do you release both and let the cable go slack when it is under a load?

paul

Reply to
Paul Oman

You advance the cable drum slightly, just enough to alow you toggle the pawl and unwind the cable until the next "tooth".

Reply to
MDT at Paragon Home Inspection

There will be a spring or a lever that will take the pressure off the pawl that is connected to the handle. Once this is released, the handle will flop back and forth. Slam the handle forward to release the other pawl. This method has very little control of the load. Another method would be to raise the pawl on the handle and move the handle so it could only move the drum one click, take the load on the handle and disengage the pawl on the drum with you fingers as you let the pressure off the load with the handle. Repeat as necessary. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

On my old Craftsman puller there ares two positions of the moving pawl. One rides on the ratchet and tightens the load. The other holds the pawk away from the ratchet until you push it all the way up where it disengages the holding pawl, holds the ratchet and alows a controlled lowering of the load until you hit the opposite stop.. Once the load is off there is a tang on the holding pawl that allows you to free wheel the spool.

Reply to
gfretwell

Paul Oman wrote: ...

The correct answer to the question as worded is "you don't!" (at least if you want to keep all fingers and toes, etc.).

If the thing is really under load, the last thing you want to do is let it fly...others have talked about how you back it off but didn't mention there's a real potential to hurt one's self badly here if try what ask directly. (I've seen some nasty knocks w/ accidental releases that way and a couple of near misses.)

The particular variety I am partial to (and for the moment I can't think of the manufacturer, but they're US (CA, I think?), not the cheap Chinese or other imports one finds in virtually all locations these days) is designed very nicely so that the handle in the reverse position will automagically release the locking pawl and allow for a controlled backoff. The cheap imports are _supposed_ to work in a similar fashion but rarely if ever actually work. Amongst other features these still sport cast puller pulley instead of the stamped plates and are otherwise just made to a higher standard.

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote: ...

It came to me...Maasdam "Pow'r Pull"

Beats any other I've seen hands down for ease of use...

Reply to
dpb