wire replacing: trouble with narrow pipe

Hey folks! Just joined here, seems like a good place to get some help with a problem I'm having...
I'm trying to replace some old wiring in an antique lamp my girlfriend found in her family's old house. However, I've run into some trouble with the arms of the lamp (it's a ceiling lamp, with four arms). The arms have narrow, S-shaped pipes that the wiring go through, but the old wires are stuck in there pretty hard. maybe they've dried and stuck, or maybe they've swelled or something. So I was wondering if anyone else have run into the same problem, and have some advice as to how I could get the damn wires out, to put new in. (I know, the best thing would probably be to just leave them in, but I cut them a bit short for that before realizing that... anyway, would be safer with new wiring. I like safe)
thanks for any help /Sverker Wahlin, Malm/Sweden
Hey folks! Just joined here, seems like a good place to get some help with a problem I'm having...
I'm trying to replace some old wiring in an antique lamp my girlfriend found in her family's old house. However, I've run into some trouble with the arms of the lamp (it's a ceiling lamp, with four arms). The arms have narrow, S-shaped pipes that the wiring go through, but the old wires are stuck in there pretty hard. maybe they've dried and stuck, or maybe they've swelled or something. So I was wondering if anyone else have run into the same problem, and have some advice as to how I could get the damn wires out, to put new in. (I know, the best thing would probably be to just leave them in, but I cut them a bit short for that before realizing that... anyway, would be safer with new wiring. I like safe)
thanks for any help /Sverker Wahlin, Malm/Sweden
Can you remove the arms? If so, take them to the kitchen sink and drip some dish soap in to lubricate the wire. But, be sure there's enough wire sticking out for you to get a good grip on it with a hemostat or needle-nose pliers. If this works, rinse the tubes thoroughly and let them dry for a day or two.
marvellous, I'll try that when I'm sober. I've tried oil, but that didn't work. maybe dish soap would be better.... be back tomorrow

Can't handle a little dish soap? How drunk ARE you? :)

Suggestion; use the soap idea; later clamp the short ends of the wire, one at a time, in your bench vise. Then grasp the metal arm/s and tug as gently or as hard as you dare hopefully without breaking the wire. Do this when SOBER!
exactly, the dish soap was probably OK, but the wires should be handled carefully... allthough I must say, do not underestimate the powers of the dish soap, it's more dangerous than people think...
/sverker

....or be sure to set up a video camera, and post the results online. :)