wire nut connections

Manufacturer's seem to recommend that electrical connections with wire nuts be wrapped with electrical tape to complete the job. But I have seen this done in only a small handful of cases. What do y'all recommend?

Reply to
bob smif

connections with wire nuts

have seen this

recommend?

Contractors don't seem to do it because of the added time/labor and it's not a code requirement anywhere that I'm aware of. The inspector that came out to check some changes I did for our foster kids rooms noted that I'd taped the wirenuts and said most people didn't bother, but he thought it was a good idea. He also agreed with me that when you wrap the nuts, you wrap in the direction that would cause the tape (after being stretched during application) to tighten, not loosen the wirenut after you're done. He said he also tells people NOT to wirewrap just because of the stretched tape situation - wound the wrong way, it can twist the nut in the direction that loosens it instead of tightening it. But since I'd done it right consistanly, he even gave me an ataboy on one of the little yellow thingies they leave behind. Made me feel good if nothing else.

Pop

Reply to
Pop Rivet

Where did you see that?

Reply to
Greg

If the connection is proper, it doesn't need tape. If it is not proper, tape will not help.

I tape stuff exposed to the weather, thinking maybe it will help keep it dry; but even that is probably pointless.

Reply to
toller

Friction tape, maybe. Not electrical tape.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

I have not taped a splice in 25 years, even then it was 15 kv and an emergency. Taping splices when out when electricians quit soldering every splice. I have seen people wrap tape around the device before placing it back into a metal box.

Reply to
SQLit

Not required, not fun for the next guy working on them, and as somebody already mentioned you could conceivably do it ass backwards and do more harm than good.

Bottom line is that if your wire nut is solid mechanically, the tape is not serving any purpose (again, as others have mentioned).

Baisez-les s'ils ne peuvent pas prendre une plaisanterie -------------------------------------------------------- Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

The boxes of wire nuts I have around don't recommend this.

A properly installed wire nut does not need tape.

Electrical tape has no place in a residential electrical system.

Jeff Dantzler

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

Taped wire nuts are usually a sign that the person making the joint didn't have the skill to do it properly.....if you find one, take the tape off and you will usually see some bare wires that didn't get covered by the wirenut, so the guy taped it. However, taping wire nuts in outdoor locations will make a difference over the years. Untaped ones will corrode much quicker than if taped.

Reply to
volts500

I'm with you. I try to always tape my wire nuts -- and crank the tape in the tighten direction like the other fine worker mentioned.

Just like winding teflon tape on pipe threads, also in the tighten direction.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Interpetation:

Because I don't know rather the connection is right, I use tape to cover up the screw up I just made.

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

Thanks guys for all your comments. Some good reasoning for both methods. I guess the best is to follow the manufacturer's instructions. None of the packages at Lowe's instruct to wrap in tape although I did see that on at least one manufacturer's website.

Here's another question on making these connections. I have read that there should be a good mechanical connection of the wires first, then twist the wire nut onto the wires. ie: twist the wires together, then twist the wire nut on. Those packages at Lowe's had instructions just to insert the untwisted wires straight into the wire nut, then twist the wire nut. In fact, this manufacturer's site says to do so

So is it necessary to twist the wires first? Maybe this defeats the design of the wire nut? I had an awful time the other night connecting some light gage stranded fixture wires to much heavier solid hard copper wires for a pendant light fixture; it was virtually impossible to twist those together and get a good mechanical joint before using the wire nuts.

Reply to
bob smif

"Wire nuts are a quick and easy way to make a secure wire connection without saudering or the use of any additional tools. Simply strip away an inch and half of the wires insulation. Then holding the bare ends of the wire parrallel and insert them into the threaded hole of the wire nut. The wire nut is then twisted to ensure a low resistance connection every time. Finally rap the wire nut and connected wires in electrical tape to finish the connection.

Wire nuts should only be used for making connections between wires of the same color."

This is not a manufacturer and their advise is as good as their spelling.

Reply to
Greg

Thanks. I also abhored their spelling, and just realized that they aren't a manufacturer. Still, I seem to remember the packages of Gardner-Bender wire connectors at Lowe's saying the same thing about inserting the untwisted wires into the wire nut. I'll have to double-check the package, the Gardner-Bender website is a little light on providing much technical information.

How about "push on" type connectors? Are they any good?

(yeah, I'm just a homemoaner but I'm also smart and educated and eager to do things the "right" way)

Reply to
bob smif

One of my oldest friends has been a union electrician for over 30 years. He tapes every single wire nut connection he makes, and he would beat me if I didn't.

Reply to
clifto

Is it *necessary*? Probably not, if every other thing you do while making that connection goes perfectly. Is it *smart*? Yes.

Reply to
clifto

hey Bob,

check this out, all you want to know:

bob smif

Nelco makes shrink tubing and wire ties if you look at their company info. They even refer to "Ideal" wirenuts. I thought the "strip away an inch and a half of insulation" was interesting and the "wires of the same color" remark was just baffling.

Ideal is the company that owns the name "wire nut" and they say you don't have to twist the wires but when using stranded wire and solid it may be "helpful" to "lead" the stranded wire around the solid to get it started. The instructions say nothing about tape. I wrap the stranded around the solid, allowing it to extend about 1/16-1/8" past the end of the solid, then screw on the nut. That makes a very solid connection.

I have never used the push ins but some people like them. Only time will tell. I can remember when the push in wiring devices were supposed to be wonderful. Now they are universally despised because of the failure rates.

Reply to
Greg

Gosh, you'd think that in 30 years he would have learned how to make them work without the tape...

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

interesting and

Thanks for your comments. Nelco's instruction about stripping an inch and a half of insulation sounded pretty extreme! I too don't like the push in wiring terminals on switches, etc, but I thought the push-in (I guess they are really the crimp type) connectors might be preferable to the twisties.

Reply to
bob smif