wire gauge

hi
I will be building a shed and want to run 100 amp 240v service into it from my house (house main is 200 amp).
what gauge wire do I need? it will be about 145 feet ( 60 feet underground in conduit)
thanks

#3 copper or #1 aluminum, minimum, and make sure you run four wires (2 hots, neutral, and ground) -- but why 100A in a shed??
--
Regards,

Price out that #3 copper and you may find that a 30A or 60A service will suite your needs. I have 30A 240V in my garage/shop and it handles al my lighting and power tool needs.
in the past I've done too many thing where I didn't prepare for the future, so do i need 100 amp now, no but maybe someday

Even 60A should be plenty to run stuff like arc welders and air compressors. But it's your shed, and your money.
I'm just sayin'...
--
Regards,

What we did in the past is to provide provisions for a future 100A service like underground conduit and sub panel sized for 100A but pull 30A cables for now. If the OP needs 100A for the shed, he has to upgrade the house main panel anyway. I have lots of power tools like drill presses, table saws, planer, compressors, welder etc. but I only use one tool at a time so 30A at 240V is more than enough until I install an AC unit.
We ran a detached garage 250' from the house for 40 years on a buried 10/3. Welder, lights, air compressor, grinders, heat, never a flicker, never a tripped 30a in the house.
--
Steve Barker

"greif" < snipped-for-privacy@email.com> wrote in message
DA had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/wire-gauge-229652-.htm : greif wrote:

There are a few gauge vs. current vs. voltage drop online calculators online, such as this one:
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ News and Discussions Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 220368 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
http://www.csgnetwork.com/wiresizecalc.html has a handy calculator for determining the wire guage needed for a circuit length.
Rich http://www.garagedoorsupply.com