Wire for smoke alarms?

I'm talking about 12VDC smokes w/ aux contacts (panel powered). Many alarm panels do not support 2-wire smoke loops.

Like this one:

G. Morgan

That'll work, but then you need to add notification appliances as well, and that's a whole nother ball of wax (unless you use standard 24VDC detectors with sounder bases)

basically I still think the 120VAC/battery detectors with tandem connection are probably a simpler, more economical choice for a home install and provides all the functionality you need - the full "system" is useful for larger installations where you need annunciation by floor, zone, etc.

Hey, let's go addressable, let's just get silly :)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Just the standard interior siren(s). I'm talking about a standard residential alarm panel say an Ademco Vista 20P, 1 zone for the smoke loop, 1 or 2 interior sirens for annunciation.

Sure, but if the OP already is already paying for security monitoring (we don't know), they might as well get smokes connected to the alarm and reap the benefits of a monitored fire alarm too.

How about Fire-Lite MS9200, that's about what 255 points?!

Reply to
G. Morgan

If you're doing a permit, then they'll probably REQUIRE that you hardwire the smokers. Some jurisdictions say if you're doing a 50% or more remodel, then the electrical in the whole place has to come to current code. Your area may be drastically different. Hard wired smokers are nice, cause if one goes off, they all sound off. You may be too far from the room with the smoke to hear just one. Also, smokers should be in each bedroom, and outside each bedroom door or at least one in the hallway. Kitchens are not a good place for one.

S. Barker

what the hell kind of house needs emt all over?

Reply to
S. Barker

One in Chicago?

Reply to
gfretwell

Really?

this is the same city that allows fire escapes to be made of wood...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've been wanted to ask this for quite some time, and this looks like the thread to do it in! house is 4 years old. Since new, one wired smoke detector in one bedroom has been false alarming. of course, it sets off all the others. I have replaced the detector with new ones twice, but within a day or two, false alarm again. So it must be the wire running to that room, right? it's a bedroom, there's nothing happening that should set it off. I was thinking of tracing the existing wire, i guess it runs to the next detector in the series, and replacing the wire.only problem is, its tough to trace the wire because the attic has plywood flooring nailed down which will have to come up for that.

Reply to
mike_0_007

Why not get rid of the rats?

Reply to
gfretwell

OP is in Miami area, and has a history in this group of not being too bright.

Reply to
edbedb

For one thing, poison is bad for the dogs.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

little tiny spiders crawl in mine sometimes. But twice within a day or two? probably not likely.

Smoke from candle or incense?

Fumes from air fresheners or other chemicals (hair/body spray...)?

Dust from air vent?

Steam from the shower?

the wire seems an even less likely culprit. If the wire were at fault, removing the bedroom detector would still leave the others falsing.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

... and rat infestations are bad for people. Have you heard of the plague? There are plenty of ways to get rid of rats without poison. The first step is blocking the access points.

Reply to
gfretwell

She seems to have much more sophisticated reasons for wanting the wiring in exposed conduit, that what I know.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Most places in Chicago and its suburbs.

Reply to
RickH

OH? If so, then that's rediculous.

S. Barker

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1a97r3p5hen01j15ia26u9f16v9i5hmd34@

4ax.com:

Another is to elect them.

Reply to
Red Green

Ahh, yes. The other way to get rid of them is to rename them.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

According to a neighbor, their one hardwired alarm, on the ceilling of the second floor hall, was falsing so they took it out to get it repaired or replaced.

While it was out, the analog clock in the stove, on the first place, set fire to the kitchen.

This story was 2 to 4 months from start to finish. I'ts hard to imagine it going on for 4 years.

P&M

Reply to
mm