Wire for smoke alarms?

Page 1 of 2
I am in the middle of the whole house remodeling and my electrician who is doing wiring for me told me I should have him wire for smoke alarms for all the rooms while he is at it.
Is this worth the effort? I was planning on just using battery operated ones that you attach to the ceiling with a double sided tapes and only in the kitchen, garage and the family room where a fire place is located.
What is the benefit of having a smoke alarm that is hard wired? I asked him and he said that if it's hard wired and chained together, then if one goes off all goes off, ok so this is a slight plus.
Comments?
MC
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 12, 4:12 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Thats the code now adays, - if you are pulling wire thru the area anyways, why not, the extra cost is definitly worth a life.
Dave
Add pictures here
✖

Well, no battery changing.
No annoying chirping when batteries get weak.
Code often requires at least one wired one on each floor.
If there is a fire it sure would be nice if they all went off so everyone has the earliest possible warning.
As long as if one becomes defective the whole damn lot doesn't start chrping!
Add pictures here
✖
Careful with this advice - I think even the hardwired detectors often have a battery backup in case of a power failure. Check out sites like: http://smokesign.com/120vacharsmo1.html to see some options.

Add pictures here
✖

Thanks. I stand corrected.
Add pictures here
✖
Mark wrote:

All of mine do have backup batteries but they are providing no operating current so the batteries last roughly as long as their shelf life. And with good alkalines this is a _very_ long time.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

The code also requires battery backup so you still get the chirp.
The electrician should be pulling 14/3 romex
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 12, 5:49 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I am doing everything in EMT. So far over 200' of new EMT has been laid on top of the existing EMT pipes. I don't know if I can fit extra wires into what I have already. If it involves new rigid conduits to be laid the cost will not be insignificant. I hate to use romex.
Add pictures here
✖
what the hell kind of house needs emt all over?

✖
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:41:37 -0600, "S. Barker"
One in Chicago?
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Really?
this is the same city that allows fire escapes to be made of wood...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

OP is in Miami area, and has a history in this group of not being too bright.
Add pictures here
✖
OH? If so, then that's rediculous.

✖

I've been wanted to ask this for quite some time, and this looks like the thread to do it in! house is 4 years old. Since new, one wired smoke detector in one bedroom has been false alarming. of course, it sets off all the others. I have replaced the detector with new ones twice, but within a day or two, false alarm again. So it must be the wire running to that room, right? it's a bedroom, there's nothing happening that should set it off. I was thinking of tracing the existing wire, i guess it runs to the next detector in the series, and replacing the wire.only problem is, its tough to trace the wire because the attic has plywood flooring nailed down which will have to come up for that.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 05:19:14 -0800 (PST), mike_0 snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

little tiny spiders crawl in mine sometimes. But twice within a day or two? probably not likely.
Smoke from candle or incense?
Fumes from air fresheners or other chemicals (hair/body spray...)?
Dust from air vent?
Steam from the shower?

the wire seems an even less likely culprit. If the wire were at fault, removing the bedroom detector would still leave the others falsing.
sdb
--
What\'s seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

According to a neighbor, their one hardwired alarm, on the ceilling of the second floor hall, was falsing so they took it out to get it repaired or replaced.
While it was out, the analog clock in the stove, on the first place, set fire to the kitchen.
This story was 2 to 4 months from start to finish. I'ts hard to imagine it going on for 4 years.
P&M

Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:03:34 -0600, Mark Lloyd

Why not get rid of the rats?
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:33:30 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

For one thing, poison is bad for the dogs.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

... and rat infestations are bad for people. Have you heard of the plague? There are plenty of ways to get rid of rats without poison. The first step is blocking the access points.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:21:13 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

She seems to have much more sophisticated reasons for wanting the wiring in exposed conduit, that what I know.