Wire fence hold-downs?

I'm sure someone must make stakes with a hook or notch at the top to hold the bottom of wire fences next to the ground. What do I look for? Lowes? What are they called? Or how to easily contruct a few such stakes? All I can think of off-hand is wire coat hangers but I'm sure they'd be much too flimsy. I don't have a power scroll saw to construct some out of wood slats.
I'm trying to keep the neighbor's dog out of my yard. Asking them was unsucessful.
Barbed wire strung along the bottom of the fence is a possibilty but it's very stiff and hard to cut, fasten and otherwise handle.
Suggestions please?
TIA

KenK wrote:

I used some 1/2" square tube cut into 6" lengths to stake the bottom of my chicken pen <also buried the wire about 3" deep for those predators that dig>. Cut an angled slot partway thru <anglr grinder or hacksaw> about an inch from the top to catch the wire .
--
Snag

tent stakes.
snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in

Ahhh. I'm not a camper so never thought of that. I wonder who sells such stuff. Sporting goods store?
TIA

KenK wrote:

Rent a small trencher (Ditch Witch) and cut a 4" wide x 24" deep trench under the fence. Lower the fence so that it's a few inches down in the trench and then fill the trench with cement. Anchors the fence and prevents most rodentia i.e. dogs from digging under. If only there was a similarly easy way to keep the rodentia's noise pollution restricted to their irresponsible owner's property.
On Monday, May 5, 2014 12:02:26 PM UTC-7, Pete C. wrote:

That'll be a fun problem when the fence wire rots off flush with the concrete in a few years.
Harry K

Sporting goods stores, outdoors (e.g. REI, Cabellas, Bass Pro), walmart, target, k-mart, amazon.
On 5/5/2014 11:36 AM, KenK wrote:

fence and hammered in heavy duty fencing staples to hold them in place. They've successfully kept our dog in the yard.
On 05/05/2014 09:36 AM, KenK wrote:

Lawn staples?
Jon

Anybody that sells outdoor goods. Even Walmart.
https://www.google.com/#q=tent+stake
--
Tegger

Likely to be cheaper at Wal-Mart. Surprisingly, Harbor Freight also sells tent stakes.

Checked Walmart today As I needed something else. Wow! Tent stakes either 4 for $2 or 4 for $3. the only ones they had. And these are real cheap looking. The 4/$2 looked like long non-threaded eye bolts with the eye bent open.

On 5/5/2014 12:36 PM, KenK wrote:

There are some pretty heavy duty stakes, both metal and plastic, at Lowes for holding down landscape edging; perhaps some of those with a cable tie or just wired together. I just bought some hardware cloth to keep my daughter's little yorkiedoodleshitzhuahua* in when we dog-sit. She is only 3# and likes to track rabbits that live in our neighbor's yard....small enough to squeeze through the space between our cyclone gates because the bottom corners are rounded.
Yourkshire/poodle/chihuahua/andIcantspelltheother. She lives with two monsters, 100# and 130#, part-Newfoundlands. The Newfie/lab. likes to rearrange the planters in my pond, but he loves me. The Newfie/poodle is a goofball who plays with the pup; she likes keepaway.

If the problem is that the fence is too floppy near the ground, just add a tension wire. This is small diameter wire rope fastened to the end post, then threaded to and fro through the bottom loops of the chain link. When you get to the other end, use a turnbuckle to put a lot of tension on the wire. You do this for each straight section. This will tension the bottom of the fence and prevent lifting it to squeeze under. If there are a few areas where there is still a big enough gap to the ground to squeeze through, just fill them in with coarse crushed stone, which is unconfortable for a dog to dig through. If the dog is a determined digger, lay down heavy galvanized poultry mesh or the like and cover it with the crushed stone.
Works for keeping dogs in and/or dogs out.
HTH,
Paul F.