Wire extension

I have added a sub panel to the main so that I can increase the number of circuits. To do this I had to move two of the existing breakers to the sub panel. This was done so I could install a 60 amp double breaker to feed the sub panel. The existing wires leading into the main panel were too short to reach the sub panel. I extended them using twist-on connectors in the main panel. This works OK and all outlets have correct polarities, etc.

My question. Is this an acceptable method of extending the length of existing circuit wires? If not, how should this be done?

Many thanks.

Peter.

Reply to
PVR

It would have been better to remove the wires entirely from the main panel and install a junction box or two nearby and extend the wires from the junction box to the subpanel. It is not always acceptable to use the main panel as a junction box.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

Not exactly true there are residential panels produced today that have a "rated wire way" in the UL listing for this very purpose.

You will need to check with the panel manufacture.

I would recommend if the panel is not have a rated wire way then remove the wires and put them into a junction box with a blank cover. Label the cover as to what the circuits are.

Reply to
SQLit

I think you've gotten a couple of accurate responses to your question. Being the curious type, I'd like to know why you're asking if, as it sounds, you have already done the work? Is something or someone giving you problems? This kind of quest is usually asked beforehand.

Regards, PopS

Reply to
Pop

Agreed, and I shall install a blanked junction box ASAP.

True, I already have done the work using screw-on connectors. But now I have had second thoughts and it is no big deal to do it right.

Peter.

Reply to
PVR

He never mentioned big wire -- he said he had to move 2 branch circuits -- so most likely it's 14 or 12 gauge wire.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Wirenuts work but there are better splicing methods for big wire. Look at Ilsco.com (or whatever it is) There are other companies and they do make some pretty insulated splicing blocks

Reply to
gfretwell

You already did it right! Relax.

Dan, and yes I am a residential electrical inspector.

Reply to
Dan

I was confused with the "60a", you are right, there is nothing wrong with a wirenut for 15 and 20a circuits. Sorry for the confusion.

Reply to
gfretwell