Wire and conduit size

I want to run 4 x 10-gauge conductors (Neutral, Ground, 2 Hots) from a generator inlet box at the back of the house to a transfer panel in the basement -- approx. 25 ft.

They will run parallel to the joists most of the way. Should I use individual THHN conductors in conduit (metal? PVC? I understand that

3/4" is an appropriate size), or can I use 10-3WG NM-B stapled to the sides of a joist?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I just did the same thing and used 10/3, so it better be okay! It cannot run on the bottom of the joists, but on the side is fine.

Reply to
toller

Either approach is perfectly acceptable so use whichever one suits you.

-- Tom H

Reply to
HorneTD

On 05/07/05 05:02 pm HorneTD tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

OK. Thanks. Now I just thought of another question: if I use NM-B and feed it down through the back of the inlet box and a hole in the siding, how can I staple it within 8in. of the box? (Am I remembering the Code correctly?) I won't be able to get at it to staple it until it emerges from between the siding and the sheetrock into the space above the suspended ceiling.

So does this mean I *must* use separate conductors in conduit instead?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

There should be an exception to the stapling rule for fished cable. I don't know what part of the NEC says so, but in the CEC the rule for non-metalic sheathed cable is 12-510(3):

Notwithstanding Subrules (1) and (2), where the cable is run as concealed wiring such that it is impracticable to support it, the cable shall be permitted to be fished and need not be supported between boxes and fittings.

Subrule (1) describes the need to support the cable within 300 mm (12") of a box or fitting and every 1.5 m (60") thereafter, and subrule (2) states that cable run through holes in joists or studs are considered to be supported.

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

NEC Article 336-15: "Supports. [describes support/attachment requirements] Exception No. 1: For concealed work in finished buildings ... where such supporting is impracticable, it shall be permissible to fish the cable between access points."

Doug Miller