Wiping out our ability to sue

Page 2 of 2

Note that I said as long as it is in plce. Flaking is not in place. There are simple ways to encapsulate it to protect yourself. Repeated breating of the dust is the problem, not one flake that falls on your head.
If the conditions exist as you say, they can be and should be changed. Knowing what you do, either change it or get out. You do have a choice.

Pretty minimuial. Again, you know about it so do something. It is called taking resposibility for your actions. No dust from drilling is good so youshould be wearing a dust mask or repirator.

Exposed to what? Dust? Perhaps you shold do your work at another time. YOU have control over the situation so control it. There may also be lead paint up there so be carefull.
Would you dive into a pool of sharks with no protection? Then you should take some precaustions on your job. Every job has danger. The minimum wage pump jockey at the gas station knows enough not to smoke while filling a tank. A contructin electrician shold know enough to take precautions in his daily work also. If you choose not to, that is your problem, not mine.
It is much cheaper not to use the stuff then to get old asbestos out of buildings. Were it not for the lawsuits it would still be a consturction material.
wrote in message

all
of
there
wage
his

When the stuff was put into many of the old buildings it was not know to be a hazard. Asbestos as an insulation material is very old and it made a lot of sense back then. Heating pipes, boilers, had plenty of it.

asbestos out of

consturction
It cost me twice as much to have the asbestos popcorn ceiling removed from my old house as it did to have the origional plaster under it properly repaired.
Bob

It's your decision to use what you use, but it's their responsibiliity to pay your bills if you use it and it makes you sick............
Wow, one small step for man, one giant leap for attorneys.
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB

Teflon... and if they

will not be

responsibiliity
sick............
Who is in the best position to determine whether a product is safe? The consumer, or the corporation that makes huge $ selling it to them?
To suggest that every consumer should conduct exhaustive studies before buying a product is silly. If a product is sold, it is sold subject to expectation of safety and usability. A corporation that ignores these issues is clearly responsible for the damage they cause.
This is not to say there are not stupid lawsuits. There does need to be a way to control these. Not however by removing the lawsuit as a way to seek compensation for damage.
Bob
There are ways of dealing with frivolous lawsuits:
1. Prohibit lawyers from advertising. It used to be that in the UK and other Commonwealth countries (don't know whether it's changed lately) a lawyer (or a physician) who advertised would be "struck off" (i.e., unable to practice) -- not by the govt. but by the Law Society (or the Medical Association). Especially offensive are the TV ads along the lines of "I had a motor vehicle accident, and it was my fault, but the law firm of Dewey, Cheetham and Howe got me a settlement of $XX,000. Call 1-800-SueSomebodyToday."
2. Prohibit lawyers from taking cases on a contingency basis. Make the lawyers tell a potential client, "It will cost you $XX,000 to bring this action. If you win, the defendant will be up for your costs, but if you lose, this is how much you're going to have to pay me."
3. Make an unsuccessful plaintiff liable for the defendant's costs and the court costs (on top of having to pay his or her own lawyer's costs).
MB
On 09/18/04 04:12 pm Bob put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

I stand by my statement. Until we learn to make good decisions as HUMANS, we will always succumb to the conveniences afforded us by those sneaky bastiches that make those handy items.............including medical ones, even if it kills us.
I am not sure I have any answers as to what do , any more than anyone else. I have spent countless hours thinking about ideas to deal with all of the nuances involved with this subject, and have no thorough and conclusive way of dealing with the lawsuit and attorney angle of things.........unless we can introduce the death penalty here.
I agree with the "known to be damaging" angle, but would only be interested in prosecution of the individual/s that know and I feel like there isn't a strong enough penalty to give if they are proven to have known. DEATH penalty is acceptable in my opinion. If someone harms MANY by deception *or* outward obvious action, they should pay the ultimate price. So now we have to hash out the death penalty thing too...............( the key word here is many )
It's not nearly as cut and dried as monetary punitive damages paid...........or awarded. It's somewhat more involved.
I think if it were known that one could pay the ultimate price for killing people, killing people wouldn't be so popular. There is still room for argument here though.
So we do agree on one thing at least, removing the lawsuits is not the answer.
Changing the Awards might be though. If we could award a death sentence.................LOL..................I know, I know, I know I I already said we have to hash out the whole death penalty BS now..............Start a new thread................
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
I know there are abuses in other areas, but what really galls me is some of the modern class-action suits I see. Many of these get settled because the companies figure its cheaper and better p.r. to get it out of the way. Then I read how many millions the lawyers have pocketed and the "class" plaintiffs got 75 cents each.
Bill
What do you throw to a drowning lawer? His partners.
New York has more lawyers, while New Jersey has more toxic waste sites. Why? New Jersey got first choice.

Stroger
the
produces large

it
years of

crippling
When
workers
public
which
meantime,
thought to be

What if,

had been a

was
problems
the
the
FDA
be no

prescription
carry
Justice
people are

FDA
essentially
companies,
come their

product
At best,

status.
vulnerable to

litigation does

costs and

be made

plaintiffs
be with

overly
agency,
officials are

the
on is

that not

capitalist
if they

not be

It is a defect in the system which needs to be corrected. You don't wipe out a whole system because it is flawed if there is nothing better to replace it.