Wiping out our ability to sue

Talking about asbestos and trial lawyers, here in NJ we have a law firm that has been running an ad on TV to drum up business for at least a year now. It makes me chuckle every time I see it. The ad is looking for new clients who are victims of asbestos and in the ad the spokesperson says, "mesothelioma, a malignant form of cancer...."

So, these lawyers are supposed to be experts in this field of medical litigation and they don't know the simple fact that all cancer is malignant?

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Following your logic, the automobile never would exist. People get killed by them or using them.

The available technology in the 1920's was not the same as it is today. Does that mean we should not have been driving with no seatbelt, those tiny little tail light, poor defrosters?

If you mean out and out negligence, yes, the has been and always will be some, but there is also a risk in everything we do. Should we ban fish because people have choked on fish bones?

I'm still pissed at Ralph Nader for destroying the Corvair. It was a great car and I wish I still had mine. Was it a dangerous car? Nope, it was one of the safest in handling, IMO, and when I got broadsided by a Mack truck, I walked away.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not because of commercial use. It was in the processing that people were made ill. If asbestos is in your home and not disturbed, it is perfectly safe. Asbestos is a good fire-proofing material that helped save lives. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I stand by my statement. Until we learn to make good decisions as HUMANS, we will always succumb to the conveniences afforded us by those sneaky bastiches that make those handy items.............including medical ones, even if it kills us.

I am not sure I have any answers as to what do , any more than anyone else. I have spent countless hours thinking about ideas to deal with all of the nuances involved with this subject, and have no thorough and conclusive way of dealing with the lawsuit and attorney angle of things.........unless we can introduce the death penalty here.

I agree with the "known to be damaging" angle, but would only be interested in prosecution of the individual/s that know and I feel like there isn't a strong enough penalty to give if they are proven to have known. DEATH penalty is acceptable in my opinion. If someone harms MANY by deception *or* outward obvious action, they should pay the ultimate price. So now we have to hash out the death penalty thing too...............( the key word here is many )

It's not nearly as cut and dried as monetary punitive damages paid...........or awarded. It's somewhat more involved.

I think if it were known that one could pay the ultimate price for killing people, killing people wouldn't be so popular. There is still room for argument here though.

So we do agree on one thing at least, removing the lawsuits is not the answer.

Changing the Awards might be though. If we could award a death sentence.................LOL..................I know, I know, I know I I already said we have to hash out the whole death penalty BS now..............Start a new thread................

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

How about the lives cut short because one works in areas exposed to it all the time? As chunks of this miracle product flake off the underside of steel decks and I-beams while I hang transformers inside of electrical closets or install new electrical circuits or data lines, am I in no danger?

If I drill through 2 layers of asbestos-impregnated floor tile, are there particles in the air for my breathing pleasure?

Aren't the cubicle dwellers we have so much fun "prarie dogging" exposed when above that nice, clean 2x2 layin ceiling, is an airspace called a plenum return- which we've just snaked lines through and installed conduits and within which, for a couple of hours afterwards, looks like a dry farm on a hot summer day which just had a plow run through it?

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Note that I said as long as it is in plce. Flaking is not in place. There are simple ways to encapsulate it to protect yourself. Repeated breating of the dust is the problem, not one flake that falls on your head.

If the conditions exist as you say, they can be and should be changed. Knowing what you do, either change it or get out. You do have a choice.

Pretty minimuial. Again, you know about it so do something. It is called taking resposibility for your actions. No dust from drilling is good so youshould be wearing a dust mask or repirator.

Exposed to what? Dust? Perhaps you shold do your work at another time. YOU have control over the situation so control it. There may also be lead paint up there so be carefull.

Would you dive into a pool of sharks with no protection? Then you should take some precaustions on your job. Every job has danger. The minimum wage pump jockey at the gas station knows enough not to smoke while filling a tank. A contructin electrician shold know enough to take precautions in his daily work also. If you choose not to, that is your problem, not mine.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It is much cheaper not to use the stuff then to get old asbestos out of buildings. Were it not for the lawsuits it would still be a consturction material.

Reply to
Art

It is a defect in the system which needs to be corrected. You don't wipe out a whole system because it is flawed if there is nothing better to replace it.

Reply to
Art

When the stuff was put into many of the old buildings it was not know to be a hazard. Asbestos as an insulation material is very old and it made a lot of sense back then. Heating pipes, boilers, had plenty of it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

asbestos out of

consturction

It cost me twice as much to have the asbestos popcorn ceiling removed from my old house as it did to have the origional plaster under it properly repaired.

Bob

Reply to
Bob