Winterizing time

Page 1 of 2

Hi All,
It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this year. I took care of the car (flushed radiatior, refilled with new antifreeze). I know we need to check all caulking around the house (next weekend). Also drag out the space heaters for the garage and sunroom.
What else do the rest of you do?
cshenk wrote:

Well, here in these parts of the UK, the central heating has not been used for many months and tend to sieze up over the summer. Need to check mine and probably have to manually "give it a kick" to get it going.
cshenk wrote:

It's all done. Snowing this morning up here. Not that cold tho.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Snow! Please keep it on that side of the Pond. Just leave us a little bit for scenary on Christmas Eve.
Clot wrote:

It used to come in early September years ago. Now it is early October! I haven't started snow blower in years. Shovel and broom is enough.
cshenk wrote:

Turn off the AC, pack up shorts and tees, get out the sweat pants and sweat shirts :(

I need parka and snow boots, LOL! My AC is all cleaned and covered up. Furnace is tuned, humidifier is cleaned and turned on, air cleaner element is cleaned and checked, Stored and covered outdoor furnitures, blew out the sprinkler, turned off all out door taps, time to wash our dog and bring him inside during night time........ Time to set up 'mas deco. B4 it gets too cold. Of course checked car cooling and charging system and battery. Swap out summer tires with winter tires.(easy, we have two sets of mounted tires)
Tony Hwang wrote:

What the heck, guys? It's at least another two months before I even think about turning the furnace on.
nate
(oh, right, I live in hell, I forgot...)
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

The car is three years old so I may do the antifreeze, but then again, I may not. I've often gone five+ years with the newer stuff, unlike the 50's and 60's.
The heat has already been on this year so I know it is working, put new batteries in one of the thermostats.
Soon though, I'll be washing windows and putting the screens up and storm window down, kitchen and bathroom are last for that.
The snowblower gets pulled to the front of the garage, the lawnmower to the back.

This is something I struggle with too...whether or not it is even necessary to change antifreeze every year!
On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 13:26:02 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

My GM manual says 5 yrs or 150k miles.
My son's Audi says *don't* change it.
Jim

My Hyundai manual says 60k miles, but I've done that in less than 3 years. For most people it is 5 or so. My LeSabre has the original at 9 years and 125k. The car is deteriorating in other areas, but not the cooling system. It is also the last Buick I'll ever own.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Our Honda and Subaru, every 3 years. For Honda I use Honda anti-freeze.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Heh. The water pump on my previous company car - an '05 Impala - failed before I ever even thought it might be time to have the antifreeze changed. I guess that was the antifreeze maintenance reminder. Kinda sucked; it started spewing coolant while dropping the girl off at the airport, had to stop and buy some bottled water just to make it home.
Hopefully the water pumps on the new 3.5 engines are more reliable than the ones on the old POS 3.4... I actually kinda like the new one, was thinking of buying it out when the lease is up if it's still in good shape.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

3.5, 3.4L. Crumbs never had anything larger than 2L. and see no reason to have one that could guzzle fuel at such a rate.
Ahh, but hang on, my father has an MG with a 3.5L from Detroit and my sister used to use a Sunbeam with a 5.7l from Detroit.
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I'm not normally the kind of guy that makes blanket statements telling people to disregard the manual... but when a manual tells you that a fluid never needs to be changed, it's wrong.
That said, 5 years on a closed system with modern OAT antifreeze is probably OK.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Jim Elbrecht wrote: ...

Ever???!!!
Then again, guess they're interest is in selling more Audis, not in keeping existing ones going... ( :) sorta'... )
On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 13:26:02 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I don't have an original article. But a DAGS link.
Check for electrolysis
------------
Try this:
Take a digital volt meter and connect the negative lead to battery ground and place the positive lead in the coolant in the radiator (do not touch any metal), you should not show voltage over 0.01V, if you do then change the coolant and try again.
Now run the motor with no accessories on and the engine runnign at 2000rpm, if you show voltage above 0.03v then you have a system leaking electricity into the coolant. Run the engine with all accessories on and watch the voltmeter as an assistant turns off the accessories one at a time, when the voltage drops below 0.01v you have found the circuit with a poor ground. Do the same test while cranking the starter, a poorly grounded starter can destroy the radiator and or heater core in a matter of weeks.
Here is a bit from an industry newsletter about coolant:
http://www.frybrid.com/forum/showthread.php?pD052
On Sat 03 Oct 2009 09:06:12a, cshenk told us...

almost nothing. We water the plants less as the cooler temperatures come.
--

~~ If there\'s a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

Had to turn on the furnace, already. 62 inside is too cold.