winterizing my cottage's well...

I have owned a seasonal cottage in WNY for 10 years. The plumber who used to winterize it for the previous owner showed me what to to, and I have been doing it since. In addition to the obvious, there is a valve in the ground a few feet from the well that has to be opened to empty the underground pipes.
This year my pitless adaptor developed a leak. A contractor had to excavate about 4 feet to get at it and replace it. The new one has a wire coming off it to the surface. I "think" the wire is to release it so it can be pulled up more easily.
Anyhow; I am wondering if this new adaptor needs anything else for wintering than the old one did. I can't imagine why it would, but thought it prudent to ask.
I can't really ask the contractor; he did it for me as a favor, and he just had a personal tragedy. I don't really want to bother him with this question.

Ask the contractor who did the change.