Winterizing house in the South

I am in the South. Winters are not really extreme. Probably some 4 or so times it will get below 10, maybe a dozen or so nights it will get down to 17-20. Example, as of now, Nov 29, we have not gotten below freezing.

I wish to winterize a house where the water and gas is off.

P-traps in sinks and toilets, etc. Is there any difference in RV antifreeze and regular auto anti-freeze for that purpose. Pipes are mostly PVC.

Water heater is drained by the bottom c*ck. At that I imagine there is a little water left in the bottom.

Water lines are drained to the extent that they will by opening lowest outside faucets.

What else? How much anti-freeze per trap? Do I need to final flush the toilets and drain the water closets or will auto antifreeze be safe in there and in the bowls? (I need it to look as good as possible because I am trying to sell the house)

Thanks,

FACE

Reply to
FACE

Hi, For extra protection, use som RV anti-freeze. A cup per trap. Some in the toilet bowl. Auto anti-freeze is toxic.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

bably some 4 or

=BF=BDnot gotten below

final flush the

dont use auto antifreeze if your on a septic tank.

If pipes can freeze I would blow down lines using compressed air and add a security system to call for help if it gets too cold, or someone breaks in.

plaster washing machines, dishwashers etc are also at risk.

freeze thaw cracks plaster bad

Reply to
hallerb

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:25:25 GMT, in alt.home.repair, in thread Re: Winterizing house in the South, Tony Hwang , wrote

Thanks,

FACE

Reply to
FACE

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:45:57 -0800 (PST), in alt.home.repair, in thread Re: Winterizing house in the South, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" , wrote

On county sewer.

No washing machine, but the DW bothers me.

I will assume that plaster=plastic.

FACE

Reply to
FACE

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:45:57 -0800 (PST), in alt.home.repair, in thread Re: Winterizing house in the South, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" , wrote

How about some anti-freeze in the Dishwasher drain?

Also, it has not been used for at least 5 months.

Water has been off for 4 months.............

FACE

Reply to
FACE

Wouldn't hurt.

Likely they are dry then, I wouldn't worry. Again, adding a bit of RV AF would let you sleep easier. Not sure if there are other steps to keep seals fleixible, etc, during extended periods of non-use.

If the toilet/sink traps are dry, they are safe, although I would expect some sewer gas smells back thru toilet if traps truly dry. You can do a bucket flush - just pour a few pints of water into the toilet bowl to trigger the "flush" of water thru the trap. Mix some RV AF with it and you'll be good to well below freezing. If any water remains in back of water closet, add some AF there too.

Reply to
Mamba

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:39:46 -0800, in alt.home.repair, in thread Re: Winterizing house in the South, "Mamba" , wrote

Thanks. I have the toilets filled now for aesthetic reasons (buyers!) and the water closets filled by bucket -- just to insure a good flush if someone looking just *has* to use it. I will put anti-freeze in all.

Will put a little AF in the dishwasher drain just in case it is not dry.

With no small children or animals in the house, and no septic tank, I will most likely use regular AF.

FACE

Reply to
FACE

The problem with pipes is this: when water freezes, it expands. If there's no room for the ice to expand, the ice often breaks its container (pipes). If there is room for expansion (p-trap, toilet), there will be no harm. Usually.

Reply to
HeyBub

=EF=BF=BDnot gotten

I turned a dishwasher upside down once, at a friends home that had a fire and no heat. we knew everything would freeze a amazing amount of water came out of the fill lines and drain system.

so your trying to sell this house? it will sell easier if all utilities are on, keep home at 50 above freezing. I too sold a vaant home, thats what I was told.

certinally the first buyer will demand a home inspection, thats when you will find out and have to fix whatever damage the freezing did.

it costs a bit more but i would keep the home running at a low level.

if you cant sell it rent it out, to help cover expenses

Reply to
hallerb

I have a cabin in Flagstaff AZ (elevation > 7000'), winter temps can get below 0 occasionally. Here's my winter routine:

- TURN OFF WATER HEATER! Very important, forgot 1 time, ashed both elements.

- Turn off water at curb.

- Connect compressor to outside hose bib.

- Open water heater drain valve.

- Turn on compressor, blow until water heater blows dry.

- Close water heater drain, open all house faucets, one at a time, let them blow dry.

- Flush all toilets to empty tank, letting air blow through toilet supply line.

- No dishwasher or washer, so can't advise you there.

- 1 cup antifreeze in all drains, 1-2 cups in toilet tanks and bowls.

Have always used RV antifreeze, half the price of automotive antifreeze.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

A realtor trick was/is to place saran wrap over the bowl. It might help to prevent shoppers from using the bowl. I've used blue tape on occasion over the lid to give a clue not the use this toilet.

Do not use regular anti-freeze, follow the advice given here for RV stuff.

Reply to
Oren

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:05:45 -0800, in alt.home.repair, in thread Re: Winterizing house in the South, Oren , wrote

Thanks for the tip. Sounds good!

FACE

Noted.

Reply to