Winterizing Central Air Conditioner

I had a Carrier central air system added to an existing Carrier furnace this summer. The A/C is the split system type with an outside and inside compressor.
The unit worked nicely during the summer. I was told at the time of installation that no maintenance was required and to just switch the thermostat to "heat" in the winter. Well, I did that, and the furnace came on, but the outside compressor also came on. I called the installer who checked it out and said I needed to pull out the fuse on the outside electrical disconnect and set it in the "off" position.
I have talked to other homeowners, and none have to do this. Is it normal, or should I call the installers back?
Also, with the A/C install, they replaced the thermostat. The furnace is a two-speed model. The thermostat is a single stage heat/cool thermostat. Am I losing the two-speed benefits of the furnace? Should I ask for a new thermostat?
Thanks!
On 23 Oct 2005 16:04:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You need to call them back. you shouldn't have to worry about them both running at the same time. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Call them back and tell them to fix it or you will call their license board.

You do not mention if the unit is a heat pump. If it is then the outside running is normal. You say you have a 2 stage heater. If you do then you may need a different t-stat. The installer/service folks saw the unit and we can not. Two stages are nice sometimes, low for maintenance and high for catch-up. We can not know all the parameters of your installation. Call the contractor back and ask for the service manager to come out and show you what is going on.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

As noted, if it is a heat pump, you want it to work during the winter. It is designed to do that. On the other hand if it is not a heat pump, you have a real problem and it is not fixed by turning off the current to the compressor.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit