Winterizing a pressure washer

I'm going to be storying my pressure washer outdoors in a shed during the winter. Will there be a problem with this? Will freezing water breaking anything inside? If so, what do I do to prevent that? Thanks.

Reply to
46erjoe

I believe most recommend that you pour an antifreeze solution into the pump when storing such units. Supposedly it not only prevents damage due to freezing, but stops corrosion. At least that is what my unit recommends.

Reply to
Ken

I wouldnt use normal green antifreeze, they make one that is pink (and in a clear bottle) and used in rv's etc. My manual stated something different about the two in the pink stuff was the way to go. I will look to see what the differences were.

Tom

46erjoe wrote:
Reply to
tksirius

You should run out the gas or use Sta-bil.

You must winterize the pump. Purchase RV antifreeze or Windshield antifreeze solvent. Rig a funnel to the water input of the washer. With ignition off slowly crank the engine/pump until you see the antifreeze come out of the outlet. You are done.

Reply to
tnom

Reply to
bamboo

Blue water works fine also. That's what we use since we use the pressure washer daily all winter. Just pump bluewater through it, and good to go. It's the cheapest solution.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

we use stabil in the gas, take the pressure line off and blow the water out of it. pour anti freeze into the pump and spin it over till it comes out the other side. ..... or you could just run it with antifreeze till it comes out the pressure hose.i would also look at the oil in the pump to be sure its not milky with water.change if necc. lucas

ds549

Whatever you do, do not use ethylene glycol as the antifreeze. (green)

Reply to
tnom

Why not? Do tell.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Ethylene glycol is corrosive and can damage the pump. RV antifreeze is not corrosive and additionally lubricates the pump.

Reply to
tnom

That is bullshit. What do you think is in your car?!?! We've treated the pressure washer where I work on occasion (when the people doing didn't know any cheaper) with automotive antifreeze. It can't hurt it.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Rust, and plenty of it in the cooling passages. (ethylene glycol)

Tell that to pump manufacturers.

Reply to
tnom