Winterizing a lawn tractor

Page 2 of 2
On Nov 19, 5:03 am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

For more than you probably want to know about batteries:
http://www.batteryfaq.org /

Batteries can be quickly ruined if not kept fully charged from Sulfation. Even dirt on the battery will cause it to discharge slowly. Best is remove it , clean it, charge it and top it off every few months over winter, plus now you can clean the cable and battery terminals. If a battery freezes from discharge its ruined. Gas goes bad over a few months and varnishes, best it to run it dry, but if you have a metal tank keeping it full and adding stabiliser might be best. Change oil now as acids and water in old oil affect and pit bearings. Fogging the cilinders with fogging oil, so no rust occurs is a great idea.
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 07:03:54 -0500, Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

I've stored my John Deer outside in a shed for 8 years so far and for seven of those before the battery died it turned over fine next spring. Also it wasn't a real easy starter after sitting over the winter. Usually had to crank it at least 15 or 20 seconds. I won't disagree that a trickle charger is a good thing to use, I have one on my Harley. But for me it just wasn't needed.