Winter Storage

Howdy,

My question is about lawn tractor battery storage.

What is the best way or system for keeping the riding mower battery stored during the winter months?

I won't need to start the mower until spring of course since I have no need for the mower 'til then.

Thanks for your help and sharing your knowledge.

YS

Reply to
YosemiteSam

Clean, check voltage, coat terminals with heavy grease, keep dry.

Reply to
Phisherman

..

And you might get a battery tended (not a charger) and follow the instructions. Frankly it will likely not need it. You also might want to bring it inside and store it some place cool and out of the way.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Just disconnect the positive cable and make sure the top is clean.

Steve Barker

What happens if you disconnect the negative by accident?

Does your credit card stop working, and your nose fall off? Does your beer go flat, and your vaccum cleaner catch fire?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

if you leave the positive connected, there's a slim chance the battery could discharge from dirt down the side of the battery maintaining a partial ground. you can see this with an analog volt meter. Try it sometime.

Steve Barker

Never heard of that, but it sounds plausible. Thanks for the wisdom.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It use to be a problem with the old hard rubber case batteries, but I have never heard of a documented case with today's plastic cases.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The dirt conducting the current could care less what the battery is made of.

Steve Barker