winter problem with eavestrough

I have a valley in my roof right above my front entrance and step. The eavestrough (which makes a right angle turn at that point) fills with ice in the winter and then on mild days there is a constant drip onto my step causing a winter-long icy and dangerous step. I can't use salt on the step because it damages the concrete.
Does anyone have a solution.? I was thinking of resorting to a heated cable in the trough so that it drains out the downspout rather than the valley.
Thanks
Wayne Ottawa, ON

That would help, of course but not being able to see the situation it is difficult to suggest a better cure. Perhaps a diverter or some sort? More pitch so it drains better?
Sounds like another "function follows form" scenario. I've seen valleys dropped right into walls, necessitating bathtub roofing procedures. But your situation_may_ have more to do with insulation/ventilation, coupled with the design happenstance. Any neighbors with the same type house near you with the same problem? Like Edwin sez, it needs seeing. Tom
Thanks Tom. I will talk to the other neighbours on the street with the same house design.
Wayne

Thanks Ed for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by a diverter. Would this be an additional downdrain? I don't know what better drainage would do if the water is frozen. It drains just fine in the summer even in a deluge nothing spills over at the valley where it drips in winter.
That part part of the roof may have poor ventilation but I think valleys are always a problem.
The problem was aggravated last year when I changed my front porch so that the steps were larger and extended out farther. Now the drip falls on the middle step rather than the walkway at the bottom of the steps which wasn't quite as serious.
Wayne

By diverter, I'm thinking it may be possible to have the water run to a different part of the trough to avoid the freezing. A piece of aluminum under a shingle perhaps. Not being able to see it, it may not be possible or may make no difference. If the water sits too long it will freeze, if the gutter is very cold and you have slow melt, it can freeze too. I'm just thinking you can possibly move the point of the runoff.