windshelid scratch repair

My daughter let her windshield wiper scratch her windshield with out telling me to replace. This is her 99 Bug. Not real deep but you can barley feel in.

How do you fix? What do your buff with? Thanks Dave

Reply to
Say itaintso

If this is in the driver's line of sight, I suggest you don't try and "fix" it. Replace the windshield. Proper vision is too important to safety to play around with. Your insurance company may feel the same way and they may pay the cost for you.

If it is on the passenger side, I suggest a professional repair. They have the right tools. A wiper scratch is going to be rather large to try and hand buff, or to get right even if you did have proper equipment.

There have been some people who have used various chemical fixes. Rain-X I think was one, although it may have been a Rain-X product, not the usual Rain-X. I don't think I would bother but it might work, well enough for the passenger side and should not cost too much.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Let her pay for the repair / replacement - I'll bet she'll tell you the next time the wipers need replacing. sometimes experience is the best teacher.

Reply to
Steve Henderson

I got to agree with that. I am lucky that my daughter never did anything like that, but she always (and still does) knew that she would be responsible for her stupidity. I would help her to get the problem resolved but she has to share.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

i tell my daughter every day when she takes of to put her purse on the floor where these little smash and grab guys are waiting at red lights looking for female's purses.... she does not listen... i also tell her not to leave anything in her car like CD's, sun glasses, etc. her excuse is they are not worth anything(cheap).. well what about the glass that these little thieves break... she just blows it off.... my wife tells me let it happen and then make her pay for the glass.... bet she will then empty the car out so no one wants its contents... same with the scratched glass...

Reply to
jim

I repaired a scratch like that---The wiper came off, on high speed, on the expressway during an absolutely pouring rain.

Anyhow, just buy some toothpaste, then work on the scratch with the end of a Q tip. Toothpaste is a very fine grit. Possibly try one with baking soda in it. I used Gleem if I remember, but I bet tootpaste with baking soda will work faster.

Uses a bit of elbow grease, but works excellent if you are a bit patient. Not even an observable blurr in the glass. Perfect.

We even used that at work to buff out some executive office windows, with toothpaste and a cloth. Came out like crystal.

Best---- Ron

Reply to
Ron G

Actually... You give the toothpaste to your daughter and tell her to do it since she is the one that forgot to tell you that the wiper needed to be replaced.

Let her do the work, and then next time she won't let the wiper get so bad.

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton