Windows scam call (2023 Update)

The first time I got the call I think I managed to keep the guy on the line for about an hour. But when he had the nerve to call me back again and twice, I just screamed in his ear and slammed the phone down. Same damned guy even after I reported him to the FTC or whoever it was that my bro said to report him to. I told him I had reported him as well.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Hehehehe.

My husband once kept some young guy at the door for a very long time. He was trying to sell magazines but it was likely not legit. We had a lot of that going around for a while. Pay for the magazine but never get it. Not sure if those selling them really knew if it was a scam or not. They were always doing it to go on a trip somewhere. He made the guy describe every single magazine to him and then finally said he didn't want any of them.

My favorite one was with MCI. That long distance company. Are they even around any more? No "Do Not Call" list in those days. They would always call me while I was fixing dinner. I did ask them repeatedly not to call me any more. But they kept doing it.

So then I got another call and I went ballistic. Can't remember the exact wording I used but something like... *screaming* OMG! Do you even know what I did to the last guy who called me? Do you? You have some nerve! I did this with ever increasing volume and then told him that the MCI people were making me crazy. I then began something akin to Primal screaming. That was the last call I ever got from those people. :)

I was also rude to some Indian sounding guy who called earlier. There was this very long pause and he was hemming and hawing around not getting right to the point and I really hate that. Rattled off the name of some company that I did not know. So I told him I was sure I was not interested in whatever it was that he called for. Then he told me that he wanted to ask me some questions about grocery stores. I then told him that I get paid to do surveys. True. And I hung up.

Reply to
Julie Bove

That is what one person did. I wish I could find the link to his blog. It was really funny. Guy tried to tell him that somehow Windows got on his Mac. He didn't know how. But it had a virus.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Are you sure it was Google who called? I get calls from people claiming to be assisting to enhance Google ratings on my website (I don't have a website). I've never had a call from Google and per the previous posted, never had a call from Norton (Symantec).

Thane

Reply to
Thane

You know, it's always possible. However, I'm totally sure it was the barrister for the late King Nambu Nambu who called, can't fake that Nigerian accent. I'll get my L4,00,000 soon as they get out of the embassy there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Too late. I already have his promise of the transfer today. :-)

Thane

Reply to
Thane

I often wonder about giving out a phony bank account number just to see what would happen next. Or, maybe sending them a bogus check.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Baah, it was too good to be true. I mean, the guy sounded so sincere. I gave him my bank account number and everything.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Probably why my aunt Myrtle woke up one day and found her account to be zero balance.

Thanks a lot, you miserable....

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm thinking that "fraud" is something Nigerian courts wouldn't take seriously. Even if the Nigerian courts knew who was trying to hoodwink the rich *******s in America, I expect "Hoodwinking a rich American

******* out of his money" is not a crime in Nigeria.
Reply to
nestork

You have a point, but it's not totally new. Sam Levenson, a school teacher turned comedian in the 50's and 60's, used to say, referring to those, esp. Jews, who came to America in the 1890's to 1920, "In Europe, we thought the streets of America were paved with gold. When we got here, we found out the streets were not paved with gold. The streets were not paved. And we were supposed to pave them."

That might be an exaggeration because there was mail from the US back to eastern Europe, but after he got here in 1907, my own grandfather had to be told by two or three different people that he was going to be poor before he accepted it. He'd been a scholar in Lithuania but he became a laborer here. When his wife arrived a few months later, he greeted her in almost new yellow work boots (that I think they still sell today) that he thought looked good, becaue they were almost new, but she was dismayed.

Reply to
bubba