Windows scam call

Page 2 of 2
This "Windows" scam is new to me. I haven't heard about it yet, but I presume it's all about me taking out my wallet and giving my credit card number to someone for helping me fix Windows on one of my computers.
A few years ago, it was a Nigerian that was offering to send us our share of King Mbtubu's enormous estate if we paid the inheritance tax on that money up front.
I blame television. TV shows in the USA show people that wait tables in restaurants or work as labourers in car washes living in modern spacious apartments, wearing new stylish clothing and not having any financial problems.
Those shows go into syndication and end up being what people in Africa and Asia watch on a daily basis, and they believe what they see. Laverne and Shirley both work as waitresses in a restaurant and live in a nice apartment and always wear nice clothes. Red Foxx collects scrap metal for a living and lives in a modern house with his son instead of a hovel made of corrugated metal on the edge of a land fill site. People who collect scrap metal in America are clearly wealthier than the bankers in Bangalore.
People in Africa and Asia figure that if they can fool even one of the millions of Americans and Canadians they contact by e-mail to send them money or allow them to withdraw money from their credit card account, it makes the endeavor worth their while.
It would help a lot if modern TV programs showed the ugly reality of some people's lives in the West. Say 19 year old girls that have a child from a absentee father trying to figure out how they can go to work, and pay for rent and day care for their child at the same time. Or, perhaps 17 year old guys who are addicted to prescription pain killers who use what little money they get from shoplifting to get high.
It's clearly the "London streets are paved with gold" syndrome. 300 years ago in Britain, the only people that could afford a horse and carridge to take them out into the country were the very wealthy. Since every Londoner the country folk encountered were very wealthy, the country folk came to believe that ALL Londoners were very wealthy; so much so that the streets in London were paved with gold.
--
nestork

What an 'interesting' way to make a living. I'll bet he can't wait to get to work!

It is worth their while; otherwise they wouldn't be doing it anymore. And what's wrong with stealing money from the stupid? The U.S. government does it all the time.

19 year old girls? How about 14 year old girls. That's more the age in the darkie (and W/T) areas of town.
On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 07:49:13 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Are you sure it was Google who called? I get calls from people claiming to be assisting to enhance Google ratings on my website (I don't have a website). I've never had a call from Google and per the previous posted, never had a call from Norton (Symantec).
Thane
On 9/6/2014 10:43 AM, Thane wrote:

You know, it's always possible. However, I'm totally sure it was the barrister for the late King Nambu Nambu who called, can't fake that Nigerian accent. I'll get my L4,00,000 soon as they get out of the embassy there.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Sat, 06 Sep 2014 10:55:31 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Too late. I already have his promise of the transfer today. :-)
Thane
On 9/6/2014 11:36 AM, Thane wrote:

Baah, it was too good to be true. I mean, the guy sounded so sincere. I gave him my bank account number and everything.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/6/2014 12:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

> bank account number just to see what would happen > next. Or, maybe sending them a bogus check.

Probably why my aunt Myrtle woke up one day and found her account to be zero balance.
Thanks a lot, you miserable....
I'm thinking that "fraud" is something Nigerian courts wouldn't take seriously. Even if the Nigerian courts knew who was trying to hoodwink the rich *******s in America, I expect "Hoodwinking a rich American ******* out of his money" is not a crime in Nigeria.
--
nestork