Windows scam call

Page 1 of 2
I finally got one of the calls from one of the windows scammers telling me my computer is sending error messages. He caught me at a good time when I was taking a break and had time to play.
Of course,I thanked him for calling and told him how scared I was that my computer was broken and he offered help. Fist, I had him wait while my computer booted up. (I was reading some news on it at the time)
I was amazed at the detail he gave me. Told me to use my finger to press the Windows key. I asked him what finger. Oops, I used my thumb and have to start over.We finally got to the point of typing a URL.
He said type www. Oh, I typed wwww. He said no, three w's..OK threew. That went on for a few variations then we got to the type dot. OK I have wwwdot.
After about 20 minutes he called me a mother f... and hung up.

have the ladies ever told you that you have a way about you? good one, Ed

you should keep track and see if you can get to 30 minutes next time. I assume you gave him enough "positive" feedback to keep him on the hook for that long.
On 8/30/2014 6:55 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

What helped was knowing up front what the call was about and thanking him for calling to help me. I bet he thought he had me hooked right away. I also had the time to play rather than just hang up.
What he did not know is that I like to string them along.
A few years back we were transitioning from regular health insurance to Medicare. Our deductible for the year was already paid in, but when I changed to Medicare, the started my wife from $0 and did not cover some bills. It took month to get straightened out. Meantime I was not paying $1000 I did not owe. Then a collection agency started calling my wife.
Caller: Can I speak to Mrs. Ed? Me: This is Mrs. Ed Caller: You don't sound like her Me: How do you know what I sound like if you never talked to me?
I got a call from them once a week. After a few weels... Caller: How do you want to pay the $643? Me: I can't pay, I just bought a new Weber grill Caller (choking) Don't you think you should pay your medical bills? Me: Not now, we're going to have Porterhouse steaks tomorrow.
Insurance finally paid so no more entetainment.
wrote in message

Hehehehe.
My husband once kept some young guy at the door for a very long time. He was trying to sell magazines but it was likely not legit. We had a lot of that going around for a while. Pay for the magazine but never get it. Not sure if those selling them really knew if it was a scam or not. They were always doing it to go on a trip somewhere. He made the guy describe every single magazine to him and then finally said he didn't want any of them.
My favorite one was with MCI. That long distance company. Are they even around any more? No "Do Not Call" list in those days. They would always call me while I was fixing dinner. I did ask them repeatedly not to call me any more. But they kept doing it.
So then I got another call and I went ballistic. Can't remember the exact wording I used but something like... *screaming* OMG! Do you even know what I did to the last guy who called me? Do you? You have some nerve! I did this with ever increasing volume and then told him that the MCI people were making me crazy. I then began something akin to Primal screaming. That was the last call I ever got from those people. :)
I was also rude to some Indian sounding guy who called earlier. There was this very long pause and he was hemming and hawing around not getting right to the point and I really hate that. Rattled off the name of some company that I did not know. So I told him I was sure I was not interested in whatever it was that he called for. Then he told me that he wanted to ask me some questions about grocery stores. I then told him that I get paid to do surveys. True. And I hung up.

The first time I got the call I think I managed to keep the guy on the line for about an hour. But when he had the nerve to call me back again and twice, I just screamed in his ear and slammed the phone down. Same damned guy even after I reported him to the FTC or whoever it was that my bro said to report him to. I told him I had reported him as well.
On 08/30/2014 04:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I actually know someone who did something like that simple because he was so dumb.
He could not get his email setup and over the phone I could find no errors in what he was entering.
When I go there , instead of using the "@" sign, he entered the word "at"
sheesh

I just got one too. When the guy called I was on the other line. I told him that I was and to call me back in 20 min. I switched over and the guy called right back. I told him to wait and call back in 20 min. He did.
He spoke in a heavy Indian accent. I ask him if he worked for Microsoft and he said he did. I ask to speak with someone that could speak English. That didn't slow him down. He said, sir please take your finger and press the Win key and press R.
I told him to take his finger off the Win key and shove it up his behind.
He said F***you and hung up.
wrote in message

come to think about it, if my computer was fouled it, it could stall and need rebooting (or reboot all on its own several times over the course of the phone call.

I love it!
On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 21:45:54 -0400, Seymore4Head

That seems to be the only nasty reply they know. Except for the girl I dealt with who said "foik you". I wonder if the two phrases are related.

Interesting question. I have a Mac. I wonder what would happen if I went through all of the steps he gave me for Windows and, just when we was at the point of near orgasm, mention it was a Mac. I wonder if I could go all the way (safely) and then confuse him when the stuff did not work. I know, I am a teasing tart....
but what they conceal is vital.?
On 8/31/2014 10:51 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

You could at least get to the web site. I was tempted to go to the site he was giving me, but I honestly couln not understand what he was telling me to type. It would be fun to set up an old computer with financial information, such as your Nigerian bank account.

That is what one person did. I wish I could find the link to his blog. It was really funny. Guy tried to tell him that somehow Windows got on his Mac. He didn't know how. But it had a virus.

better to find out a mobster's bank account info, or info for identity theft. They know how to deal with these types of people.
On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 11:41:06 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

This has been done. See an earlier post in this group by Ned Turnbull, *Can any of you tell, from the accent of this English, WHERE it comes from?*
He recorded the conversation while he downloaded the files. He posted the conversation here, https://app.box.com/s/0yluyszg1qj2l83ynbm2
It's a rather graphic 30 minute discussion with an Indian self-proclaimed Microsoft support person(?) who became very inflamed at how it went. Warning - strong language. Enjoy.
Thane Kudos to Ned.
On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 18:55:54 -0400, Frank wrote:

A friend of mine was looking for Toshiba Technical Support a few days ago, and ran into this site, only about 2 weeks old (it turns out), registered to a Mohit Singh. http://toshibatechssupport.com
He calls the toll-free number at that web page & gets "Sean" almost immediately, who is very helpful (or so it seemed).
http://i59.tinypic.com/14kk3n4.jpg
Sean proceeds with the classic Indian Scam using TeamViewer, until my friend pulled the Ethernet cable & hung up the phone when he typed dir /s and then typed a message that there was a virus in his modem.
The friend is running virus scans as we speak!
http://i62.tinypic.com/2wdqdyb.jpg

Related to 4Q too, I suppose.
On 8/30/2014 5:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I tell them I threw out all my Windows computers years ago.. only smart phones here. Then I ask them if they work on phones cause I have cracked glass. They hang up.
On 8/31/2014 10:47 PM, Steve Stone wrote:

Should have bought a Windows phone :)
On 08/30/2014 02:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Dude! You are the man!