Windows Freeze Shut In Cold Weather

Hi all, the outside temperature here in northern Massachusetts has been in the single digits and at night it's below zero Fahrenheit.
As a result, my windows (which are the kind that slide horizontally back and forth in a frame) have frozen shut. Can't open them. I guess it's the little bit of indoor condensation around the edges of the window frame that freezes in the cold.
How can I make it easier to open the windows? Some kind of lubricant I can use?
(BEFORE I get any snide comments about "why would you want to open windows in below-freezing weather," it's because I have allergies to dust and so on and I want to let fresh air in as much as possible. Also fresh air helps to prevent catching other people's colds.)
-- Steven L.
Snide remarks ? never. Sleep outside stupid. Or lower your humidity or buy good windows .
Ah, so I won't ask it. But don't agree with your reasons, get a portable filter. My wife often runs hers all night long.
Now to the question. If you have vinyl frames, I would put Armor All on the sliding surfaces, or use any thing with silicone. Put it on the rubber seals around door on your car to keep them from freezing shut. But you really need to do it when it is warm. I do our windows twice a year, if I can remember but at least once a year. Slide good and didn't freeze at -1 F.
Steven Litvintchouk wrote:

Steven Litvintchouk wrote:

Um, most lubricants will help somewhat. WD-40 gets its name as a "water displacer", for instance. But it can be messy in places you need to touch (even if it's far less messy than household oil).

Actually, rigorous use of facial tissue and handwashing help more; this is pretty well proven now. You get colds more from the casual handshake than you do from kissing someone.
As for allergies, do you have a whole-house air cleaner on your furnace? Do you at least use hypoallergenic filters?
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 00:00:16 GMT, Steven Litvintchouk

What a stupid question..... Just smash the window, idiot !!!!