Windows - for the winter

We normally put plastic over the larger windows for the winter.
This year, with the astronomical gas prices, we are thinking of putting insulation over the unnecessary lower-level windows (kraft) with plastic to hold it in place. I've read where two vapor barriers or not ideal, but for the four worst months of winter, is that an issue? Without replacing the windows, is there a better recommendation?
The windows in question are normally behind snow drifts, so there is no visible obstruction.
Thanks.
On 19 Oct 2005 19:25:29 -0700, tom snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

This will not work if you are using Windows XP, but will work fine for Windows 95, 98, ME, or 2000. Windows XP does not allow for user modifications and must be used as it was initially programmed. Microsoft claims that Windows XP has better insulation value than former versions, but has not demonstrated any proof.
If your windows is normally behind snow drifts, it may be time to change you screen wallpaper to a spring or summer scene.

"VISTA" is an acronym for the top five Windows problems: Viruses, Intrusions, Spyware, Trojans and Adware.
snipped-for-privacy@emptyhat.net says...

--
Keith

The vapor barrier is so things don't happen behind the wall, unseen, but damaging. I don't see that you'd have any problems with your plan.
You might consider Styrofoam panels, see
http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/na/pro-canada/products/cavitymate.htm
Notice 1" thick panels have a R-5 value meaning 20% heat transmission compared to air.
Only drawback need space to store over the summer.

tom snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Yes you can get water damage to your windows. I suggest going ahead with your plan if you like, but go outside from time to time in the morning and see if you see condensation on the windows. I suspect you will have problems, but that depends on many factors.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

You might want to do a little more research. Half inch foam board might give you the same R-value as compressed fiberglass, would weather better and be easier to install.
Your concerns make this abnormal 78 degree day with heat not yet activated a little easier to take.
Colbyt
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:12:21 GMT, "Colbyt"

I'd put up foam insulation panels covered in 1/4" masonite on the INSIDE of the window.