Windows - for the winter

We normally put plastic over the larger windows for the winter.

This year, with the astronomical gas prices, we are thinking of putting insulation over the unnecessary lower-level windows (kraft) with plastic to hold it in place. I've read where two vapor barriers or not ideal, but for the four worst months of winter, is that an issue? Without replacing the windows, is there a better recommendation?

The windows in question are normally behind snow drifts, so there is no visible obstruction.

Thanks.

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

This will not work if you are using Windows XP, but will work fine for Windows 95, 98, ME, or 2000. Windows XP does not allow for user modifications and must be used as it was initially programmed. Microsoft claims that Windows XP has better insulation value than former versions, but has not demonstrated any proof.

If your windows is normally behind snow drifts, it may be time to change you screen wallpaper to a spring or summer scene.

Reply to
goofoff

The vapor barrier is so things don't happen behind the wall, unseen, but damaging. I don't see that you'd have any problems with your plan.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You might consider Styrofoam panels, see

Notice 1" thick panels have a R-5 value meaning 20% heat transmission compared to air.

Only drawback need space to store over the summer.

Reply to
Jeff

"VISTA" is an acronym for the top five Windows problems: Viruses, Intrusions, Spyware, Trojans and Adware.

Reply to
PanHandler

Where is the 'B', as in "blue"?

Reply to
krw

Yes you can get water damage to your windows. I suggest going ahead with your plan if you like, but go outside from time to time in the morning and see if you see condensation on the windows. I suspect you will have problems, but that depends on many factors.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You might want to do a little more research. Half inch foam board might give you the same R-value as compressed fiberglass, would weather better and be easier to install.

Your concerns make this abnormal 78 degree day with heat not yet activated a little easier to take.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I'd put up foam insulation panels covered in 1/4" masonite on the INSIDE of the window.

Reply to
Goedjn