Windows - Buying/Installing

This is a general question: Is it better to buy windows from one company and have that company install the windows, or buy windows from one company, and have another concern install the windows? I think I may be better off buying the windows I need at the lowest price I can and then finding the lowest priced installer I can. Or am I wrong? And, living near Syracuse where winters can be fierce and sunshine is not plentiful, what type of windows would be best? Thanks to anyone who can give me some guidance.
Pella has approved installers that are supposed to know what they are doing. If you are thinking about vinyl, Consumer Reports has review windows within last few years..... check the library. They had a best buy but I don't remember the brand.
If you go with a big national installer, watch out for their boilerplate contracts. Probably has an arbitration clause that will be a problem if they do a bad job.

Best Windows ? Look at consumer reports... Tri Pane,are best Anderson ETC ... Get bids , Bids , but Anderson Glass Is no1 ,, and NO glass is not glass, Anderson IS no 1 the machine they use is a 30,000,000 machine it coats Clear at the Atomic Level , Get prices, Go Anderson
I have Andersen in most of my house. Several started leaking right away. I know I can get them replaced but it is not an easy job to change the sash in their windows.

I'd never buy Andersen again. Their quality, based on the windows I bought from them, is non-existent.
RB
m Ransley wrote:

Keep this in mind! If you buy the windows from the same company that installs them, they will usually warranty them 100% if there is a problem. If you buy the windows one place, and have someone else install them, the warranty question gets muddied a bit. Was it the fault of the window manufacturer, or the installer? Each company will possibly blame the other if a warranty problem arises. Greg

I would only buy them from the person who installs them. Why? Warranty... If you have a problem with one the window will be covered but the installer is going to charge you a pretty penny to swap it out. The manufacturer may also balk about the window being installed by a "non-authorized" installer.
Steve B.
[On 26 Dec 2003 15:57:09 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bluefrognet.net (humanbeing) wrote:]

Windows are one of the more controversial subjects that comes up here.
My personal opinion is to ask around among as many of your neighbors as possible. Good windows which are badly installed will not make you happy. Mediocre windows which are installed well would be better.
IMO.
On 26 Dec 2003 15:57:09 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bluefrognet.net (humanbeing) wrote:

You may find the company you buy the windows from will contract out for installation. They may warranty the windows/installation but a couple of years down the road when you realize you have dry rot/leakage problems and your exterior siding needs to be peeled away and studs, etc. replaced it'll be a major PITA. I had a general (who supposedly had been in the bus for 20+ years) install my windows on an addition. From the start I knew he didn't have a clue as to what he was doing. I found it best to supervise the installation myself after researching how to properly install. Some info can be found at the Fortifiber (window flashing) site at: http://www.fortifiber.com/FBSG/pdf/install_guides/window_flashing_method_b.pdf So, regardless of which route you take be very proactive in the process.