Windows 8.1 email setup

Page 2 of 2
| My ISP is Charter and what you get from them is a quirky javascript account...which I don't use. | MOST folks I know use web based email...but I'm certain no expert like you. |
Most do. Most just don't think about it. I'm continually surprised that so few people don't mind having their personal corespondence (gmail) and their social life (Facebook) owned and hosted by an advertising company that disrespects their privacy. And according to Edward Snowden, also sends their email to the NSA. Microsoft, which is known to be sharing peoples' data with the NSA, is currently fighting the US gov't over a request that they turn over all European email stored on servers in Ireland. Microsoft, of course, couldn't care less about any of that. They've never respected anyone's privacy and were one of the first to claim co-ownership of content sent through hotmail. But it makes MS look bad if they steal private property from Europeans and give it to the US gov't. So they're going to court. The US gov't is taking the position that since MS hosts the email, the email itself is actually Microsoft business records rather than private correspondence, and therefore subject to US gov't demand!
It's up to you, but you can have email through Charter if you want to set it up. It's just a bit of a hassle because every ISP has slightly different settings that one has to find out. This link looks like it might provide what you need:
http://www.myaccount.charter.com/customers/Support.aspx?SupportArticleID 12
Though I wonder if that page is outdated. It specifices port 25 for outgoing email, which is very uncommon these days. If you use TBird there's a good chance it will figure out your settings for you, just by entering your email address at Charter.
alt.home.repair:

POP3 is designed for deleting the email from the server after downloading by default, but every POP3 client that I've ever seen can be set up to leave the mail on the server. OE isn't unique in that respect. Thunderbird can do both POP3 and IMAP.
IMAP systems are designed for leaving all mail on the server, but to also download and keep a copy locally.
I use IMAP on all my portable devices and POP3 on my main desktop computer. That way I can read mail from everywhere for a couple of days, after which it all gets to the desktop and can be archived.
Microsoft seems to be trying to hasten the demise of POP3 by no longer including any POP3 clients with Windows. Most email servers have IMAP available, but not all. Gmail and Yahoo do. My ISP, Comcast has had it for the last year or two, although they don't advertise it. Verizon does.

You may want to check their ISP. Mine offers web based email service as well as pop and imap.

I keep my real and throwaway accounts all with Gmail. I hook them together so I can read everything in one place. Further it makes me independent of my ISP. I have 3 ISP choices here and when I switch I don't have to go through the hassle of changing email addresses. Gmail has pop and imap service so it works with just about anything.. For my phone I use the K-9 imap android app.
scarecrow wrote:

We have the same ISP , the only one available here unless we go with satellite ... ours offers web email , but I don't like it and from thesse folks' responses when I told them the new comp stores everything in the cloud they won't either . They're both in their 90's , and neither is computer literate . I want to keep it as simple as possible for them , they aren't interested in new tricks .
--
Snag

Meanie wrote:

I don't think so ... but I'll be setting up a program for them . These people are in their 90's and aren't interested in anything but being able to access their email on the new comp . I want to keep it as simple as posssible for them .
--
Snag

On 1/17/2015 8:13 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

My wife is like this and just accesses her email through our isp and that means any computer. Just set their home page on their browser to their isp's email account.
I have Win 8.1 and prefer to use Thunderbird for email. Easy to set up free program and download messages to computer where filing is better.
I also have my home page set to isp which will tell me if there is email and I also go there to make sure spam filter did not filter out something I want to see.
Terry Coombs wrote:

HI, Download Seamonkey. It has news group, email server. Add-on adblocker. Also it is browser. It is same as Firefox, Thunderbird combined.
Nil wrote:

I knew this , they don't -

I've used IMAP a little , prefer POP3 .

I'm doing the same thing with POP3 .

I don't think it's so much MS as it is the "powers that be" . It's a lot harder to monitor a sheeple who keeps all his correspondence on his home computer . If this sounds like I fear my government it's because ... I fear my government .
--
Snag

| Microsoft seems to be trying to hasten the demise of POP3 by no longer | including any POP3 clients with Windows.
Not so much POP3 as "non-cloud computing". Windows 8 tries to trick people into thinking they need a Microsoft ID in order to use their computer. As I understand it, that process also sets them up with an outlook.com email address. The idea is to keep people contained in Microsoft's version of AOL. It's all aimed at converting computer users to service users who won't mind that they can't control their computer, own their software, or possess their data.
Government spooks, of course, are very happy with that arrangement. It's creating an Orwellian expectation that anyone who wants privacy must be hiding something nefarious. Eric Schmidt of Google, despite being known as a private person, has been arrogant and/or naive enough to declare as much. There's a very creepy clip of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
e7wfDHzew
What's really driving it for tech companies, though, is just money. For years they were able to keep coming out with new software and charge more for it. These days most common software doesn't need to be paid for. There are free alternatives. And the market has matured. Products like MS Office and Adobe Photoshop haven't really changed all that much since the 90s. Meanwhile, those companies saw Steve Jobs creating locked down devices, getting a 30% cut of software sales, and making billions selling music through an online store. And they saw Google become a mega-corporation by switching their core product from search to spying, in order to increase ad profit.
Microsoft wants a piece of that action. They've actually been trying to get it ever since '98 when they came out with Active Desktop, trying to convince people to subscribe to "channels", which were intended to be constant ad feeds from the likes of Disney that would be mounted on the Desktop as embedded webpages. (Remember the brief fad involving "thin clients" around 2000? Ever since PCs arrived there have been people scheming to "rent you the car that you bought".) Fortunately, Microsoft has so far failed to make compelling spyware like Google. And they've mostly failed to get people to buy restricted functionality, like Apple's. Windows users are used to controlling the hardware and software, so they've had to be herded very slowly toward the services model. Thus the popular dislike of the Metro giant button interface. People weren't ready to trade their computer for a bunch of online ad/service hybrids.
On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 9:45:16 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

pp

ver

e -

I am sending this from my computer which has Vista -- My new Windows 8.1 is in the other room and I am still learning how to use it. First thing I di d was buy Windows 8.1 for Dummies. It has helped but nothing short of a mi racle will get me to use Windows 8.1. I bypassed the Windows Outlook mail program which is what 8.1 uses. It's complicated - but it can be done. It 's Windows Live Mail - pretty much like what Vista and 7 has. I can't find the page with the instructions but it can be done.
On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 12:24:26 PM UTC-6, Dottie wrote:

is in the other room and I am still learning how to use it. First thing I did was buy Windows 8.1 for Dummies. It has helped but nothing short of a miracle will get me to use Windows 8.1. I bypassed the Windows Outlook mai l program which is what 8.1 uses. It's complicated - but it can be done. It's Windows Live Mail - pretty much like what Vista and 7 has. I can't fi nd the page with the instructions but it can be done.
Dottie this freeware program/shell can help 8.1 work more like Windows 7. h ttp://classicshell.net/

I am sending this from my computer which has Vista -- My new Windows 8.1 is in the other room and I am still learning how to use it. First thing I did was buy Windows 8.1 for Dummies. It has helped but nothing short of a miracle will get me to use Windows 8.1.

If you really hate it you can buy a copy of Win7 for about $100+_
http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/ms_products~subcategory~186.asp
If you have Win8 Pro I think you also have "downgrade rights".
On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 9:45:16 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

I have heard about Classic Shell and I may end up downloading it. I know Windows 10 is due out this summer - and I sure hope it is an improvement over what I have now. Thanks for helping.