Windows 8.1 email setup

Page 1 of 2
I recently helped an older (than me ...) couple set up their new computer , and yesterday they called to ask for help in setting up their email . I have no experience with the new comps , I'm a steadfast XP user . I did a little bit of research today , and it looks like they need an app for that ... is this how the new ones work ? I know how to set up the server settings , user stuff and all that , but had no luck at all trying to help them find the email client (over the phone) that I thought should be there - every OS I'm familiar with has one built in (or included) with the OS . I need some help here ...
--
Snag

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 8:45:16 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:

The is no need to set-up an app when there are so many free internet emails like Outlook, Yahoo, or Gmail. It's also handier to check your email when you're not at home.
On 01/16/2015 09:09 PM, bob_villa wrote:
[snip]

Some of these services insert their spam into every email you receive. I won't accept that.
BTW, my email is with my web hosting company. They provide POP3, IMAP, and webmail all from the same mailbox. On my computer, I use Thunderbird.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 1/16/2015 9:45 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

There is a mail app on the modern UI interface, but it really sucks. Download a copy of Thunderbird for them, and call it a day.
--
Froz...

I'm with you. I'm still using OE6 on XP, even though I have a ridiculously powerful, dual-CPU Dell in the other room that was given to me. OE6 requires a little extra care for security, but it's very capable while also being fairly simple.
There was a discussion about this recently in the Win7 group. On Vista, Microsoft removed Outlook Express but added Windows Mail, a similar program. On Win7 there's nothing installed but one can install Windows Live Mail. Many people seem to think WLM is inferior to WM and there's a hack for getting WM running on Win7. At any rate, you should be able to install Windows Live Mail on Win8.
What I do for people is to install Thunderbird. It's not quite as well designed and intuitive as OE, but it's designed to be similar and works fairly well once it's set up. Though like Firefox, later versions may be more trouble to set up than older versions. I found that the only really confusing part was that TB sets up POP3 settings per account, but the outgoing SMTP settings, for reasons unknown, are separate. I actually set up a new email address for someone in TB just a few days ago. It worked OK, but TB wanted to hold my hand through the whole operation. It actually wouldn't allow the account to be set up until it succeeded in checking the email account with the settings I gave it! A somewhat understandable but maddening design on the part of the Mozilla people. TB should also import old email from MS programs if need be. Just tell it what to import during install and it should find the accounts. If the email is now on XP or Win7, on another computer, you should be able to just copy over the .dbx files from the Application Data folder and point TB at them.
I don't know of any other decent email software. There seem to be some old programs that have fans, but nothing that stands out.

Generally, the only thing one needs today for email is a web browser -- Firefox, Chrome, whatever; because most email is web-based. It's accessed from the web. There are dedicated programs for email if one insists on storing all correspondence on their own computer.
At that point it comes down to preference.
On 1/16/15 9:45 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

https://download.mozilla.org/?product=thunderbird-31.4.0&os=win&lang=en-US
| The is no need to set-up an app when there are so many free internet emails like Outlook, Yahoo, or Gmail. It's also handier to check your email when you're not at home. |
That's no help if they want to use an existing ISP account. There are also numerous advantages to ISP accounts. (Or any other real email, whether it be thorugh owning a domain/website, ISP, or paying for email service.)
Free webmail is an ad-supported service that basically belongs to the provider. They claim the right to read and keep your email, as well as showing you ads. They don't allow you to completely delete that email.
Most people have several free, real email accounts with their ISP. One can also have a large number of accounts by owning and hosting one's own domain. (I pay only $9/ month for full-service hosting.) And virtually all real email can also be accessed online as a webmail version if necessary. Real email also has all sorts of superior functionality, not the least of which is that it runs in a real software program, not as a javascript operation in a webpage. It also provides the ability to store all of your email locally and to delete it from the server. And it provides conveniences like extensive, custom filtering of email.
I accept spyware webmail (gmail, yahoo, facebook, outllok.com, live.com, hotmail) to some of my email addresses because I have to, but I don't write personal emails to those people. The email address for my website is set up to auto-delete free webmail. I figure that if people can't be bothered to spend a couple of minutes, or a couple of bucks, to have real email that's not run by a sleazy operation like Google or Yahoo, then there's no reason I should spend time reading their message, which is almost certainly asking me for a favor. :)
On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 9:44:34 PM UTC-6, Mayayana wrote:

My ISP is Charter and what you get from them is a quirky javascript account...which I don't use. MOST folks I know use web based email...but I'm certain no expert like you.
Mayayana wrote:

What she said . These folks have an email account thru our local isp and don't want to change to a web-based email .
--
Snag

On 1/16/2015 10:55 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Do they have Outlook or Thunderbird? Both are free, easy to set up and both can be used to configure email accounts regardless of it's ISP.

yep, that's what I did for a pal.
I also downloaded OpenOffice, since the old Office 2000 wouldn't work, at least not without an emulator which is where I bailed.
On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 8:45:16 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:

Had that problem with Win 7 & 8.1 also. I now use eM Client (www.emclient.com) It inputs any e-mail address of your choice, is free, and works reasonably well once you get used to it. With a paid version you can input several e-mails to it.
Retired wrote:

Thanks to all , I guess I'll be going over there and installing/configuring Tbird for these folks . I have both a gmail and outlook.com accounts , but they're throwaway accounts so I don't have to give out my primary pop3 account to every Tom Dick and Mary .
--
Snag

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 9:04:57 PM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:

Good plan...Thunderbird should be no problem for the aged ones. I know because all of the sudden I am an old man. Don't know how that happened but it must have crept up on me. Now I'm looking for that "fountain of youth" that Ponce de Leon failed to find. ====
On 1/17/2015 12:27 PM, Roy wrote:

About 8 years ago I went from Eudora to Thunderbird as Eudora was unsupported and could not be fully adapted to Vista. Six years later when my Vista machine bit the dust and I got a Win 8.1 machine, I found TB much easier to install. I had also put TB on my wife's Win 7 laptop when using to bridge the gap between machines. Mozilla products constantly update and do not try to wring cash out of you like Microsoft.
On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:09:20 -0800 (PST), bob_villa

But sometimes you actually want to keep your email on your 'puter. A real e-mail client is a good idea. I sprung for outlook (microsoft Office product, not the online service of the same name) but Mozilla has a good free one that works too.
alt.home.repair:

I believe that Windows 8.1 comes with a mail app, but the app runs only in the Modern (mobile-device-like) interface. This app will only work with IMAP servers, not POP3. Otherwise Windows no longer comes bundled with an email program like Outlook Express or Windows Mail.
They would be better off using one of the various free email programs such as Mozilla Thunderbird.
Nil wrote:

RedAlt5 suggested one that looks pretty good . I may try that eMclient program he suggested . One thing I really like about OE6 is that I can set it to leave a copy on the server on the computer I take when I travel , so when I get home I can download the messages to my desktop - which is set to delete them from the server . The other options are to use the ISP's web interface orTbird . For myself , I don't use the webmail , I'd lots rather have those messages stored on MY comp than theirs .
--
Snag

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 10:47:32 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:

My ISP is WOW cable and I had to change the eM Client settings from IMAP to Pop3 to get their e-mails. Thats the only change I needed.