Window well with landscape blocks?

I have two 33" wide basement windows whose sills are right at grade and 2-3 inches below grade.

Rather than use the rather ugly corrugated steel or plastic window wells I thought I'd lay 3 courses of 4" landscape blocks in a semi-circle. [first course mostly buried- last course above grade]

I'm surprised that I don't see this application on any of the paver/landscape block sites. Has anyone done this and regretted it? [or liked the result?]

I'm in NY so frost heave is a consideration. The surface they'll be installed on is fresh backfilled rubble 6 feet deep. [compacted to

98% with a whacker every 8 inches or so]

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

water will be able to get thru them possible causing flooding?

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

I can almost guarantee that they will heave from frost, especially since they won't be extended below the frost line, which in my part of NYS, is coded at 48". It wouldn't hurt to try, though. You can probably use the blocks somewhere else, it if doesn't work.

Reply to
willshak