Window Well Flooding

I have a window well that will fill up with water during infrequent heavy rainstorms and flood my basement.
I put a small marine pump in the bottom with a one-way valve and a hose and it pumps fairly well but can't discharge at a fast enough rate to keep the well drained.
It is a tight fit so I'm reluctant to try fitting in a bigger pump - the more traditional sump pump. I'm thinking about sealing the window on the outside with Plexiglas and sealer.
Please offer any ideas you have.
Thanks
Bob wrote:

The best solution is to gravity drain the window well away from the house. Is that possible?
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Not only drain it away but removing dirt and filling it with gravel. There are plastic clear covers avalaible.
simply put, you need to stop the water from getting there in the first place.
randy

What about one of those clear bubble covers; assuming the flooding is from direct rain.

DS wrote:

DS makes a good point. I was assuming that the water coming in was from direct rain, and of course the bubble could help. However if the water is flowing in from outside, that is a different problem.]
If the water if flowing in, re-grading is needed. Water should flow away from a home in ALL directions for at least 15 feet (20 is more gooder).
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
My gutters get overwhelmed in very heavy rains and then dump water off the ends into a depressed area that fills the window well from the sides, not the top so covers don't help although they are in place.
There is a large tree with ground roots that I will remove and order a load of dirt to re-grade the area away from the house foundation and window well. I also have a covered patio that has had the dirt underneath it eroded over time (also a family of foxes dug a den there several times) so I need to fill in under there since it is another low point next to the house. Or I might call in a mud jacker to fill it.
New larger gutters and drains would also help.
However, I am probably to paranoid to leave it at that and will install a larger sump pump.
The last two heavy rains I ended up outside bailing water out of the window well to keep from going in the basement. It's not a lot of fun when you are soaking wet, cold, muddy, and tired of bailing water.
Bob wrote:

It looks like you have a good plan. I believe it will work and hopefully you will not need that larger sump pump.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Kwicher Komplainin...
I have a friend who had a skunk get stuck in his window well.