Window tinting home

Does Window Tinting your home save a significant amount on your cooling bill? thanks
david wrote:

I think so but I can't tell you how much. Inside a room with a tinted windows, it feels cooler in summer time. I have lots of windows. My house faces S/W. All the windows on that side is tinted. Even without a/c, it made a difference. It supposes to help in winter too. Anyhow my house is R-2000 spec. You may wonder how many windows we have? When we're ordering window coverings after house was built, the person taking the order couldn't believe we have that many windows, LOL.
In the South, yes. In the North, no.

Tinting? Probably not measurable.
Reflective film, now that's a whole 'nother story. Works great.
In my jurisdiction in the Southeast U.S., the building code requires that all new windows be "Low-E" (extra energy efficient). I've noticed that these windows have a metallic greenish film applied to the windows that noticeably tints them. My window manufacturer tells me that they are very effective at reducing energy costs. I don't know whether he's telling me the truth, but I do have a hunch that if the building inspector requires it that it probably is fairly effective.
John Churchill Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University Author of www.renovation101.com
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Low-E windows are the lowest grade windows allowed? I have always heard Low-E was the lowest quality and least efficient compared to argon, double pane, etc. This is why Low-E is the cheapest.
That may be true. Low-E may be the minimum required in my jurisdiction. It makes sense that they would allow more energy efficient designs.

Argon leaks out after a few years.
Double-pane (thermopane) is standard nowadays. Can't really have "low-emission (low-e)" glass without it since the low-e coating is somewhat sticky and thus resides on the inside edges of one or both panes. (so I was told by local glass shop)
I doubt that low-e is the cheapest since it involves an extra coating on the glass.