Window replacement question

I'm 8-12 months away from replacing some windows. But in the meantime, I need to replace the window coverings in one room. Whatever style I get, they'll be mounted to the wall outside of the molding. "Pocket replacement" is the way I'll go with these windows. For purposes of measuring the window coverings, can I safely assume that the molding surround won't change in size, so I can avoid buying window coverings twice? I'm already planning to leave an extra inch or so above and on either side of the molding surround.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Decide which window brand to buy, then discuss the problem with customer service. Odds are your present idea will work fine, though.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Provided you do not replace the casing around the window with a larger size than is currently there you should be fine.

Wall mounted WT items are usually at least 1" to the left and right of the casing and at least 2" above the casing.

If you need some help with the measures, post back or email. I have done WT installs for 22 years now.

Reply to
Colbyt

I've got quite a bit of "slop" planned. This room gets a lot of sun before noon, and my main customer (teenage son) says it keeps him from sleeping until noon on weekends. If he had his way, the WT would be a foot wider and higher than the window, and black. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The molding won't change at all if they're pocket replacement windows. I've had 12 done in my house over the past two years and nothing has changed outside of the window pocket. That's one of the nice things about replacement windows, is that you get to keep your old molding and preserve the style of your house. (It can be tough to find window installers that do certain types of moldings these days, especially the simpler, chunkier, older styles.)

- Jeff

Reply to
basscadet75