Window Replacement

Current windows are nearly 60 years old Wood frame with single pane glass Aluminum storm windows

I would like to upgrade all my windows

One particular problem Bad weather, rain, snow, sleet, etc is mostly from the west. The west side of the house has no protection such as trees other buildings, etc, and therefore takes the brunt of bad weather So windows on the west side of the house is need more protection.

In what ways can I improve the survivability of new windows on the West side ?

Reply to
Atila Iskander

Let a windows contractor who can actually see that side of the house make suggestions. I'm tempted to say plant trees but I'm going to assume there is a reason you can't or won't. Another thought is awnings tho I'm not a big fan of awnings.

Last, if the new windows last 60 years, you might not have to worry about replacing them in your lifetime perhaps.

Reply to
Doug

You don't say whether you plan to do the job yourself or hire a contractor. In any case...

Talk to at least three window contractors/suppliers in your area.

Go with the one who leaves you with the most verifiable* confidence, not the one with the lowest price.

*Ask for references.

One thing to consider is whether to install storms or not. Many VRW cannot handle storms due to the heat buildup between the window and the storm, so make sure you ask the right questions and don't just assume that storms will make any window better. You could void your new window warranty by using storms.

In addition, the increase in convenience of eliminating the storms is huge. On days like we are having in my area this time of year, the ability to easily open the windows at night for the cool breeze and then close them in the morning before the heat builds up is one of the biggest advantages we've gained. We used to leave the windows closed for weeks at a time to aviod the hassle of the storms.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

$15?! I just paid $65 each (that was the low bid) to have the glass replaced on 20 windows. That was labor only (glass was under warranty).

Reply to
krw

To answer your points:

1) Yes, there is a reason why trees cannot be planted on the west side as a weather break and source of shadow. 2) Awnings are not a choice I wish to make. Would not fit the house. 3) Newer windows may or may not survive 60 years. Some of them may not survive far less than that. 4) Considered re-installing storm windows on only the West side, but that would give a different look from the other visible sides. 5 Winter winds are very cold, even with modern windows. Anything additional to reduce exposure is a good thing.

Oh and about those alleged "window professionals", I stopped taking them seriously when I tried to get them to come out and bid for the job, and a whole slew of them were unwilling to talk to me alone. Instead they wanted both me and my wife to be present for their sales pitch. (I used to sell for IBM and Control Data, I know all about the techniques of playing people for a hard sell)

Reply to
Atila Iskander

Hmm, And you have a single pane windows for 60 years? Here two pane is minimum mostly 3 pane windows. Keep loong you'll find a honest reliable window installer contractor with many different options/choices. Windows with 10 yea guarantee is common.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I've got a lifetime warranty on my new windows. I assume, it is my lifetime or maybe 20 years if I'm lucky ;) Installer had replaced half an over-sized Anderson slider after 2 years for warpage that caused an air leak. We had replaced half our windows and sliders four years ago and the rest two years ago.

I had old double pane leaky windows with storm windows. The new double panes with no storms are much better. The new reflective but transparent coatings keep heat in in the winter and out in the summer. Vinyl windows and frames also removed my need to paint every now and them.

I had commented to installer that I knew of people having windows replaced in new homes in less than 10 years and he said it was most likely due to poor initial installation.

Reply to
Frank

That's not playing people for a hard sell. Insisting all decision makers are present is basic salesmanship.

If you're unwilling, other, more serious prospects are. They're not going to waste time on you. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

If they may not survive far less than that then they will survive just a little less, or maybe more? ;-)

See my other response on using storms with VRW. Just something to keep in mind.

Unless it voids the warranty and/or ruins the window. See my other response on using storms with VRW. Just something to keep in mind.

I have spoken to "a whole slew" of contractors for windows, doors and roofs over the past few years.

Not a single one of them wanted to talk to my wife. OK, that sounds bad. What I mean is that everyone one of them was willing to speak with me alone and make the deal with me alone.

The last salesman that insisted on talking to both of us was an encyclopedia salesman. I'm sure you can imagine how long ago that was!

(BTW...the windows and doors I did myself, the roof I hired out.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

???

Newer windows will _not_ change the climate! Your winter winds will remain the same no matter what type of windows you have.

Reply to
gama

I'll disagree with you there. Early in our marriage, before we had started separating areas of expertise and responsibility, we had gone shopping together for a bathroom upgrade on a previous house After two salespeople tried to push us against each other, to get us to sign, we realized right away that that was NOT the way to go

Since then, in our marriage, decisions about hardware fall into my area of responsibilities. My wife's usual response in such cases is "You decide, dear" I always include her in aesthetic issues, since that's one of her areas of expertise. But since we have already agreed on those details, as well as budget, for windows, I'm the guy who goes "Door #2", and then signs the cheques for such a project.

And they're welcome not to bid because they're stupid

Reply to
Atila Iskander

Someone trying real hard to be witty

Reply to
Atila Iskander

Not really, you made it easy.

Reply to
gama

I just had 20 windows replaced under warranty (house built in '07). The problem wasn't installation, rather poor quality control in manufacturing (glass installed backwards). Even though they were covered under warranty, it still set us back more than $1300.

Reply to
krw

Not good to hear. My warranty includes windows and the work and the replacement slider door cost me nothing. I have this problem with electric water heaters. They seldom reach their 7 year warranty but work is expensive even though the water heater costs nothing. Companies and people do go out of business too. I'm reminded that when I bought my father's funeral policy they had caskets with 20 and 40 year warranties. I figured since he was going to be in the ground forever, what's the difference. This was several years ago and talking to the funeral director, they no longer give warranties. How would anyone know anyway?

Reply to
Frank

New windows appear to last about 20 years. I built my house in 1990. Most of my glass has been replaced. Generally one or two at a time as they failed. The south facing ones failed first. My windows came with a lifetime guarrantee. They would come out and measure and a week later come back and install new glass. No cost to me at all. One window under a patio roof and well shaded has not failed yet. I have been very happy with my manufacturer. I hope he doesn't go broke. I plan on owning these windows in 20 years when they get replaced again.

Reply to
Pat

Atila

Protection from what? Cold wind? Rain? Wind blown sand or grit?

I'd imagine that properly installed windows will resist cold and rain well. Vinyl windows won't need to be painted. Shutters, if appropriate might help, too. Have you looked at new construction in your area to see what's being used? Have you spoken with your neighbors? You are much more likely to get good advice locally than from the web.

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

What for? You know f*ck-all about salesmanship.

Straw man.

That's not stupid, it separates the wheat from the probably chaff. Basic salesmanship includes hitting the best prospects first. If they were out of better prospects, they wouldn't insist.

Plus, you're likely a problem customer. Windows don't need extra protection from weather. I don't know what solution to that non- problem you expect to find, other than shutters. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Put in top quality vinyl frame windows with Low E squared glass ans argon fill, with "warm spacers". Use new construction windows, not inserts. They will be good for another 60 years.

Reply to
clare

Poor installation of the cheapest crap the contractor could get his grubby paws on. I'ce seen quite a few that should be replaced after 5 years. For less than double the price youcan buy windows that will last 20 or more, and for less than 50% more than that, ones that should last 50 or more. All of the above replacements being vinyl.

It is possible to buy good wood windows - the best currently available MIGHT be 50 year windows if they are kept painted (every couple of years) - most if not kept up are 20 at the very best.

Reply to
clare