Window Replacement

Page 1 of 3  
Current windows are nearly 60 years old Wood frame with single pane glass Aluminum storm windows
I would like to upgrade all my windows
One particular problem Bad weather, rain, snow, sleet, etc is mostly from the west. The west side of the house has no protection such as trees other buildings, etc, and therefore takes the brunt of bad weather So windows on the west side of the house is need more protection.
In what ways can I improve the survivability of new windows on the West side ?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 08:44:05 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

Let a windows contractor who can actually see that side of the house make suggestions. I'm tempted to say plant trees but I'm going to assume there is a reason you can't or won't. Another thought is awnings tho I'm not a big fan of awnings.
Last, if the new windows last 60 years, you might not have to worry about replacing them in your lifetime perhaps.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

To answer your points: 1) Yes, there is a reason why trees cannot be planted on the west side as a weather break and source of shadow. 2) Awnings are not a choice I wish to make. Would not fit the house. 3) Newer windows may or may not survive 60 years. Some of them may not survive far less than that. 4) Considered re-installing storm windows on only the West side, but that would give a different look from the other visible sides. 5 Winter winds are very cold, even with modern windows. Anything additional to reduce exposure is a good thing.
Oh and about those alleged "window professionals", I stopped taking them seriously when I tried to get them to come out and bid for the job, and a whole slew of them were unwilling to talk to me alone. Instead they wanted both me and my wife to be present for their sales pitch. (I used to sell for IBM and Control Data, I know all about the techniques of playing people for a hard sell)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Atila Iskander wrote:

And you have a single pane windows for 60 years? Here two pane is minimum mostly 3 pane windows. Keep loong you'll find a honest reliable window installer contractor with many different options/choices. Windows with 10 yea guarantee is common.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 8/31/2012 2:23 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I've got a lifetime warranty on my new windows. I assume, it is my lifetime or maybe 20 years if I'm lucky ;) Installer had replaced half an over-sized Anderson slider after 2 years for warpage that caused an air leak. We had replaced half our windows and sliders four years ago and the rest two years ago.
I had old double pane leaky windows with storm windows. The new double panes with no storms are much better. The new reflective but transparent coatings keep heat in in the winter and out in the summer. Vinyl windows and frames also removed my need to paint every now and them.
I had commented to installer that I knew of people having windows replaced in new homes in less than 10 years and he said it was most likely due to poor initial installation.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I just had 20 windows replaced under warranty (house built in '07). The problem wasn't installation, rather poor quality control in manufacturing (glass installed backwards). Even though they were covered under warranty, it still set us back more than $1300.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 8/31/2012 6:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Not good to hear. My warranty includes windows and the work and the replacement slider door cost me nothing. I have this problem with electric water heaters. They seldom reach their 7 year warranty but work is expensive even though the water heater costs nothing. Companies and people do go out of business too. I'm reminded that when I bought my father's funeral policy they had caskets with 20 and 40 year warranties. I figured since he was going to be in the ground forever, what's the difference. This was several years ago and talking to the funeral director, they no longer give warranties. How would anyone know anyway?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/19426236/hurricane-isaac-unearths-caskets-at-cemetery http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/20/oak-grove-cemetery_n_1022017.html
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 14:49:48 -0400, Frank

Poor installation of the cheapest crap the contractor could get his grubby paws on. I'ce seen quite a few that should be replaced after 5 years. For less than double the price youcan buy windows that will last 20 or more, and for less than 50% more than that, ones that should last 50 or more. All of the above replacements being vinyl.
It is possible to buy good wood windows - the best currently available MIGHT be 50 year windows if they are kept painted (every couple of years) - most if not kept up are 20 at the very best.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

lifetime warranties on anything end when the manufacturer goes out of businss....
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That's not playing people for a hard sell. Insisting all decision makers are present is basic salesmanship.
If you're unwilling, other, more serious prospects are. They're not going to waste time on you. -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I'll disagree with you there. Early in our marriage, before we had started separating areas of expertise and responsibility, we had gone shopping together for a bathroom upgrade on a previous house After two salespeople tried to push us against each other, to get us to sign, we realized right away that that was NOT the way to go
Since then, in our marriage, decisions about hardware fall into my area of responsibilities. My wife's usual response in such cases is "You decide, dear" I always include her in aesthetic issues, since that's one of her areas of expertise. But since we have already agreed on those details, as well as budget, for windows, I'm the guy who goes "Door #2", and then signs the cheques for such a project.

And they're welcome not to bid because they're stupid
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What for? You know fuck-all about salesmanship.

Straw man.

That's not stupid, it separates the wheat from the probably chaff. Basic salesmanship includes hitting the best prospects first. If they were out of better prospects, they wouldn't insist.
Plus, you're likely a problem customer. Windows don't need extra protection from weather. I don't know what solution to that non- problem you expect to find, other than shutters. -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote in message

Thank you for your input It has been most unhelpful Have a nice day
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 15:38:32 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

Even if I agree with everything you say here (which I think I do), why do you have to always think if someone doesn't do it your way (or agree with your way), they're stupid?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

False premise It's stupid not to bid on a project because you couldn't get both spouses to sit with you. That's like claiming that you will only negotiate with some corporate entity if all the shareholders are present They don't need to be there Only the person with full authority on a project needs to be there.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 20:54:22 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

No, it's like that in form, to some extent, but it's not like that in reality at all. With a corporation, the board makes decisions. Sometimes their projects are big, and it's well worth the saleman's time to give his presentation 2 or 3 times, or more.
With a husband and wife, not only do both usually have substantial input, often both have a veto. After one of them says yes, then the other one often wants to hear the salesman's pitch directly and ask questions that weren't asked before. A pain in the neck and he's already given a price, so he gives his time for free, the second time. Why is it so hard for both to be present?
IOW, 2 is a far cry from 1000 or more.

In most couples there is no such person.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If this is true, it's no wonder the divorce rate is so high.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I wonder if this a regional thing.
As I said in an earlier post, I've never had a contractor request that we both be present.
Roofer, windows, and (separately) doors. In every case I met with them on my own. I don't recall any of them asking for my wife to be present. In fact, there were times when my wife was home and they never asked if she could join us.
Someone asked "Why is it so hard for both to be present?" Often times one's work schedule is more flexible than another's. I can meet with a contractor more easily than my wife can. If she needed to be present then every meeting would have to be in the evening or on a weekend. I'm glad no contractors asked for both of us to be present since that's not how I want to spend my off hours and it would have delayed every project as we tried to fit evening and weekend meetings into our schedule.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Well they want you both there to make a decision on the spot from a presentation given by a high pressure commission-only sales person. Simple deal - they want to rip you off.
Check out my video on windows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
LydWRxoTE&list=UUBSMxlV209Rvj3p4IA8khlQ
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.