Window replacement

I am in th eprocess of replacing windows on my house. Has anyone used Window World products and installation service. If so, how was the experience dealing with that company. The estimate they gave me is by the far the best (compared to Sears, Lowe's, and HD). Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
hat

Ask them for references going back one, two or three years, then call and ask those people about their experiences. If possible ask to see those installations. Do the same with at least one other firm in your area, then make your decision. Window work can get somewhat pricey when contingencies arise, and no contract will provide free alterations to correct unforeseen problems. In some areas the box store subs are second tier performers, while many old line siding and window firms keep crews busy year around and from what I see are on a par with the house builder installers. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I had some big windows replaced by Window World and am happy with the product and installation. Almost a year ago.

nick hull

They did my windows and I am very happy with them so far. It has been 2 years now and no problems. My price was also a lot more inexpensive than the others. The only thing that I was not real happy with is the caulking.

LJ

Reply to
Old Boat

ive used them in all my rentals and home. i get the 2 pane with low e glass. that low makes a big difference in summer.. nothin but happy with them. lucas..ky.

ds549

The eprocess? Is that like email? I'd suggest you replace your windows with Linux, but if you must use windows, get XP, not Vista.

Reply to
alvinamorey

re: The only thing that I was not real happy with is the caulking.

What about the caulking were you unhappy with? Caulking is not just for looks - it is a crucial element of window installtion and if done wrong can negate many of the benefits of upgrading to higher efficiency windows.

It is important to create a dead air space around the entire window between the window frame and the rough opening even if they used insulation around the window. One of the best ways to caulk around a window or door is to first put backer rod in the gap and then caulk. Unless the gap around the window is extremely tight, you need something to support the caulk until it cures.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: Ask them for references going back one, two or three years...

I don't use a lot of contractors, and those I have used came recommended by friends.

I've always been curious about this "ask for references" suggestion. If it's the contractor him/herself that is going to be providing the names, why would I expect to get anything but good reports? I'd expect the contractor to provide the names of clients for those jobs that went especially well, where they had good rapport with the client, etc. Even a hack could easily have a few jobs that went well and offer those names as references. Even the best will have an unhappy client regardless of how well the job went and I doubt they would offer that name.

As I implied, I've never needed to employ this strategy, but it just seems that it would be so biased that it would only tell one side of the story.

Reply to
DerbyDad03