Window Questions?

I am replacing the windows and doors in my 30 year old house.
2 exterior doors 1 garden door 8 windows - horizontal sliders (some of the windows are 3*5)
What kinds of questions should I ask the salesmen?
How do I determine a better quality window? other than price?
--
CathyLee
They neigh I pay
"CathyLee" ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.comNOSPAM) writes:

Note how much of them is actually window. I ordered a couple of slider windows for my basement and found that the glass is surrounded by so much vinyl that they cut the light in half compared the old, wood-frame, top-hinged ones. The tiny panes are better suited to an oven door. (I didn't install them -- anyone want to buy them?)
-- "For it is only of the new one grows tired. Of the old one never tires." -- Kierkegaard, _Repetition_
James Owens, Ottawa, Canada
James Owens wrote:

I second that. Also, vinyl attracts and holds dirt. I'm in the process of replacing the vinyl windows with Anderson "Tilt Wash" units. They give more viewing area and are easy to clean.
You have alot to learn if you want the most for your money. Start with an old Consumer Reports article they rate apx 20 windows. There are ratings for SHG. CDF. VLT . R value, center and whole. Unless you learn there terms and more you are lost. Check EPA or other gov. Energy Star sites . There is good info out there Google. You must learn this yourself.
A lot will depend on who is doing the installation. What kind of finish is on the mouldings? Do you have choices? We had the choice of unfinished wood or primed, depending on what you wanted to do. Is there a discount if they install in the winter? What is your choice of hardware for the doors?