Window question

I am replacing my old aluminum Jalousie windows (I am in FL) with new single hung aluminum windows. The building is of block construction. This is a pretty easy DYI project in that the openings are all standard sizes. My question is what is the best way to trim the 1/2" flange if needed on the new aluminum window? Thanks.

Can't speak for your windows, but the ones I used to install had a flange with a groove every 1/4" running down the side, as well as across the top and bottom. All you did was take metal cutting shears and cut the first inch or two on the seam. The outer strip would curl up a bit. Then, you took a hefty pair of pliers, grabbed the strip and pulled it right off.